Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
New & happy switcher needs the help of the collective minds of the Macrumors massive!

Was trying to lock out a guest account I set up from an internal HD partition when an "unexpected error; could not complete command" (paraphrased, can't remember the exact message after the ensuing freakout) message came up. Then stupidly un-ticked 'Ignore ownership on this volume', closed the Show Info window and rebooted...now all of my accounts do not show the partition anywhere.

Tried sudo chown -R yourName:admin /Volumes/nameOfDrive as recommended in https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/154101/ ...it seemed to perform the command but still could not access/view the partition.

Tried to do a sudo chmod -R u+rwx * (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/154952/)but could not get into the directory to do the command, "Permission denied". Under ls -Fla it does list the partition as:

d---rwxr-x 23 admin staff 884 Oct 31 03:54 sm hd

...so I assume the ownership/permissions are messed up as per the latter-referenced forum thread.

Disk Utility still lists the partition but with the drive icon replaced by a paper(?) icon and no information(e.g. number of folders/files) on the partition...the 'repair disk permissions' button is also greyed out. I can still see files & folders in Spotlight but unable to access anything. Am running 10.4.3 ..

Thanking you in advance for any help given to sort the problem...Apple Support won't be open till Monday :(

shazz

shazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
It's OK used the Apple Support pages to figure out the solution. Thanks for reading anyway :eek:

madisonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
Same problem as you

Can I ask you how you solved your Hard Drive problem? I have the exact same symptoms and problems with my external hard drive. Have tried suggestions from forums. Any help you cna provide would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
shazz said:
"unexpected error; could not complete command" (paraphrased, can't remember the exact message after the ensuing freakout

I'm glad you got it all sorted out, but I gotta tell ya that quote just cracked me up when I saw it!

madisonmac said:

madisonmac said:

madisonmac said:
Can I ask you how you solved your Hard Drive problem? I have the exact same symptoms and problems with my external hard drive. Have tried suggestions from forums. Any help you cna provide would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Are you really sure you want to tinker with your hard drive after struggling like that with a simple message board post? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.