Help mid 12 mackbook pro will not go past log in screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dieeldoctor, May 1, 2015.

1. dieeldoctor, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

dieeldoctor macrumors newbie

My wife's MacBook Pro was working fine yesterday. Today she went to use it and it will not go past log in screen. We did disc verify/repair and that said hard drive ok but still won't log in. Any ideas? Not too computer savvy so need a walk through basically.

Thanks Walt

2. dieeldoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

To me, the issue makes no sense unless you provide more information.

4. dieeldoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a MBP mid 2012. Bought it new already loaded so it has no restore discs. It's a 13.3", part no. MD101LL/A. ModelA1278. 2.5 dual core i5 4GB ram 500GB HDD. It will power up but does not chime, it gets to login screen but won't go any further. It is my wife's and I NEVER use it. She looked up on web and found a way to get into guest and got to a screen for apple support and has gone no further. Also if you close cover the logo stays lit so it dosent go to sleep. We ran a disc repair and it says hd ok. Now all this happened overnight, used it at night put it to sleep and next AM wouldn't work. Not sure what OS it's running but I think maverick. Might be Yosemite though.
    Thanks Walt

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

6. Fineance macrumors member

What do you mean it will not go any further than the login screen? Is her password correct?

7. dieeldoctor, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

dieeldoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset PRAM and SMC. It powers up, then goes to the grey user screen. When we click on the user icon a progress bar starts to load. It will go about half way and will go no farther and that was from 8PM to 8AM. Does not load anything more. Password is correct the progress bar won't show up til it is put in. Initially, she was using it at night and closed the cover, came back in the AM and found it like this. The only thing that happened was the 12 lb cat may have sat on the closed computer although that shouldn't effect anything.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Can you boot into safe mode???

If you can, then you can take a time machine backup, squish the hard drive and reinstall OSX, then migrate back your data.

If not and you don't have a recent backup you could be in trouble.

Take a look here for an in depth guide

http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/17/a-fix-for-os-x-hanging-at-startup-even-in-safe-mode/