Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Here is what I have: Macbook Pro - utilizing around 80GB of HDD. I have a large iTunes library, a small amount of Word and Excel files, very few applications (VLC, Microsoft Office, Transmission, Toast, etc.), and a large iPhoto library.

I have everything backed up on a Western Digital external hard drive using Time Machine.

Over the past two years, I have accumulated a lot of files and extensions that I don't need or want. I am soon going to trade for either a 15-inch MBP or an iMac. Rather than restore everything on the new machine using my Time Machine back up, I just want to start with a brand new computer.

How do I get single applications from my external hard drive to the new computer? For example, I want MS Office on the new one. How do I get it over without reinstalling with the disc?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
So I just opened Migration Assistant to see how everything worked. I chose to transfer applications, but it didn't let me choose specific ones. Does it just transfer all applications and files to support them? Is that my only option?

Also, does the system create a new folder for the applications that are transferred?

This sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.