help migrating music from el capital to sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ghanwani, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a new macbook ntb and have been manually bringing my stuff over from the old machine (2010 mbp) running el capitan. I copied the iTunes folder from the old machine to the new, and fired up iTunes. It does not show any of the music.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

in tunes preferences, in advanced, is that pointing to the correct folder? check your music folder, make sure the right one is highlighted...

3. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Also make sure the version of iTunes on the new computer is the same or newer than the one on the old computer.

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

The path in preferences is correct.

Both old and new have iTunes 12.5.5.5.

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

right, but check the actual folder; is your music in there? and if so, have you rebooted?..

6. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

The music is there. I have not rebooted, just restarted the iTunes app. Why would rebooting help? (Easy enough to try, just curious as to why it would help.)

7. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried rebooting, didn't help.

I will try Apple Support next. Might as well take advantage of free support during the first 90 days.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017 ---
    Called Apple Support. A lot less painful than I expected, other than being disconnected and having to call back in.

The resolution:

I had to go to File -> Add to Library. It brought up a selection of folders where I had to choose the base iTunes directory. Everything showed up minus the previously downloaded art work.

I'm all set. :)

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

worse-case scenario, you could move all your music out of the music folder (ie to the desktop); delete the itunes folder in music, and re-import everything
    great!