Help Migrating Music Library

Discussion in 'iPod' started by topher, Aug 31, 2007.

1. topher macrumors member

Hello,

I'm attempting to move my library from my PC to a new macbook. The folder structure on both machines is the iTunes default, and both machines are running iTunes 7.3.2.

I have used an external hard drive to copy the entire "iTunes Music" folder, and then attempted to drop it into the appropriate place on the macbook.

Unfortunately, iTunes on the macbook doesn't do anything with all of this information. It opens to a blank library.

I've tried importing the .itl and .xml library files, and I've tried quitting & reopening itunes, restarting the computer, etc.

The "keep my music folder organized" and "copy new music to my itunes music folder" are both checked. But, I've tried various combinations of checking and unchecking and haven't had any luck.

Does anyone out there know any trick to getting itunes to recognize all of the new music I've dropped in it's lap?

Thanks

2. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Have you tried mucking with the preferences to select where the library is located?

3. topher thread starter macrumors member

Yep. Rebrowsed to the appropriate folder. No luck.

4. topher thread starter macrumors member

Fixed. In the off chance that someone has a similar problem, and manages an effective search before posting...

The key seems to be not to copy the itunes folder itself, but to copy all of its contents and paste them to the itunes folder that is already in place. In other words, open the itunes folder on the external hard drive, select all contents, copy. Then open the itunes folder on the new machine and select paste.