Help! Migration Assistant -- USB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike-intosh, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mike-intosh macrumors newbie

I'm trying to transfer files from my old MacBook (white) to my new MBP. I dont have the necessary FW or even an Ethernet cable.

Is it possible to transfer between computers with a USB cord? I dont care about the length of time, I just need it done.

Thank you!!! :cool:

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have never heard of an option to transfer via USB over the years. Looks like a trip somewhere local to buy a FW or Ethernet cable (WalMart?-- Best Buy and such are way overpriced) or waiting for a cheap online cable to be delivered! :(

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No not possible. However you can do it via ethernet cable.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Ethernet's the new way to do this.

I'm not sure an ethernet to firewire adapter would work that well. The adapters you see are just for network testers I believe.

5. cube macrumors G4

I understand the only thing he is missing is a 9-to-6 pin FireWire cable.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Or an ethernet cable since that option is available via Migration Assistant also.

7. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

Can't you use the same ethernet cable from your DSL/Cable internet? Or are you still on DialUp? Or just go to you next door neighbor and ask if you could borrow some Sugar and an Ethernet cable.

8. cube macrumors G4

Yes but the previous poster started talking about the mythical ethernet/FireWire converter, which he wouldn't need even if it were not possible via ethernet.

9. Mike-intosh thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone!!

now another problem.... MA saying that I can only put info ON TO my PREVIOUS Macbook, not transfer TO another computer. In other words, the Macbook seems to be a one-way street, so to speak.

How can I fix this? :(