Help! Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter troubleshooting question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by green.treefrog, Mar 15, 2010.

1. green.treefrog macrumors newbie

I am trying to get my projector to display movies, tv, etc. from my MBP.

I got the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter but it doesn't seen to recognize any connections going out to the projector. It does not come up with the "mirror the display" option in the displays section of the system preferences.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the Mini DisplayPort to see if it's working?

I downloaded the firmware patch with the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter hooked up to the projector but it was unable to install it since it said that the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter was not detected!

I'm thinking that there may be a malfunction to the Mini DisplayPort... Is there any way to check it? I tried 2 different VGA cables.

The only thing left would be an issue with the adapter.

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

ran into this problem also while trying to play movies and tv shows i had downloaded through itunes. closest answer that i found to this was that the items through itunes were protected, for some reason they would not play through a 'non' Hd connection or something like that

when i closed itunes the display would work but as soon as i played something throgh itunes with that "protection" the display would stop or say some error like "could not be played at this time"

hope this helps at all

-K

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If you check the adaptor's page on Apple's website, it seems that it is a problematic and much-hated item. Some people on Amazon might also help if you check their reviews. Otherwise, it's just good old Google or calling Apple.

But generally it's a good rule to disconnect and turn off everything and starting the connection from the beginning.

4. green.treefrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. It's not a problem with iTunes. The desktop or anything (even the firmware update) will not go through to the projector.

It's either the adapter is bad or my Mini DisplayPort is not functioning properly. I was just wondering if there a way to troubleshoot the Mini DisplayPort to see if it's working properly.

I could exchange the adapter to see if that's the bottleneck... Then, if that's not it - it may be something else that I haven't considered.

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

So yes, you are thinking along the correct diagnostic algorithm. First, if you have another MDP to DVI or HDMI or any other adapter, check that. See if you can output video via another adapter. If you can, then this reflects a problem with your Mini DP to VGA adapter.

6. green.treefrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any other way to get audio/video out from the MBP other than through the Mini DisplayPort?

I don't have any other adapters. I'll just have to get another one to see how it goes.

(Thank you.)

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Video - you could try USB. I know there are several adapters that allow you to use USB for a second video out for Dual DVI displays.

Audio - there is an audio-out through the headphone jack. I wasn't aware that the mini-displayport supplied audio output.

8. green.treefrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not real familiar with this Mini DisplayPort stuff... I appreciate that you corrected me about the audio. I wasn't sure if it included audio or not.

I'm really just trying to hook it up to a projector so I can look at the internet projected.

USB to video projector... I'd have to see if there's an adapter that would go into my projector. I think it's VGA or s-video. I'm not sure what the other connector is called.

I don't really like this Mini DisplayPort stuff. The port, itself, seems really delicate. Seems like some dirt or being jammed would really screw it up.