Help! Mini hangs on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm posting this from my iBook, because my Mini is in a coma. :mad:

I was downloading a couple of software upgrades onto my Mini -- the latest version of Safari and a security app of some sort -- when I suddenly lost power. On getting the electricity flowing again, I retstarted the Mini, but it's hung on the opening gray Apple display -- the spinny thing just keeps on spinning, and I get the feeling it's not going to stop.

Did the power outage in mid-upgrade screw my Mini beyond all un-screwing? Should I try putting it in Target mode and running Disk Utility on it from my iBook? What should I do?

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Interestingly, I had a power outage today too. In my case, my iMac would kernel panic as soon as the Apple logo appeared. I was terrified that the logic board was fried, but it turned out that a simple permission repair solved the problem.

Can you boot to the computer's system restore disk?

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I verified the disk as operational via Target Drive mode. I booted from the Install Disk and had it repair a tone of permissions. Then on restart, it was exactly the same problem as before. I tried reseetting the P-RAM, and that isn't helping either. I even tried doing a fresh install of Tiger, but it seems to get stuck on the "Preaping to Install" progress bar.

Any other ideas?

5. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

If it won't work on a fresh install, you may have a hard drive or other hardware problem.

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, all. Reinstalling Tiger finally worked, it just took forever to prepare the HD. I do have one corrupted third-party app that will need to be reinstalled, but everything else seems OK.