HELP!!!! missing 20 gigs of space!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caffeeneaddict, Apr 4, 2007.

1. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

i just won a 1.83 Ghz MB in a radio contest and after setting it all up, i was about to put on all my music and i saw that i only had 36 Gigs left. I thought that was odd since i hadn't installed anything yet. I read online it should be about 54 gigs or so (MB has 60 gig) so any thoughts?

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

A 60gb HD will have around 54gb useable, but the OS uses some of that too. You could do a custom install of OS X and remove things like printer drivers, Garageband (if you won't use it) so save you a few gb.

3. dailo macrumors regular

Removing languages you don't want will save you a good amount of space.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you're happy to do it, best bet is probably just to reinstall the OS. Shouldn't take long and it will probably be a quicker fix than trying to figure out what's using up the space, especially as you will have no data to backup. Just pop the OS CD in and run the install. When you're asked, do a clean install.

5. caffeeneaddict thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tips, i'll probably just reinstall the OS, but another problem concerning me is that my battery wont charge and there is a black x in the battery icon

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Reinstall the OS, if after that you still have problems get on to Apple. You should have support for it if it's new.