Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glen1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hello everyone

I was combining an empty 60.5GB partition (that used to be used to run XP through Parallels) to my 170.9GB Mac HD partition using Disk Utility when the computer suddenly froze and that black box screen that says "the system has en-counted a problem and needs to be shutdown" popped up. I rebooted my computer and opened Disk Utility and saw that the partition had been combined except the 60.5GB is showing up at used data. As you can see from the picture below all my files add up to 143.7GB but my Mac HD says the total used is 204.2GB.

Does anyone know how I can recover the 60.5GB space? Thank you.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You probably need to erase the drive and reinstall your OS. If you do a TimeMachine backup first, this is easy though it takes a while.

Since your system kernel panicked during the process, it's all messed up now.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
You probably need to erase the drive and reinstall your OS

Try this first:

1) in Finder, select "Go" -> "Go to Folder"
2) type "/Volumes" (without quotation marks)
3) you will likely a duplicate of the partition that you were copying (possibly with a "1" appended to its name); delete it and empty your trash.

As usual, no warranty implied here, proceed at your own risk. Also, were you using an external drive by any chance?

Glen1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks iThinkergoiMac I will do your suggestion and also back up the files on my Passport Drive as well.

Also, were you using an external drive by any chance?

Nope I was not. This was my MBP 250GB hard drive that I spilt in two parts and the only volume showed after searching in finder was the "Macintosh HD" 231.4GB.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you tried booting of the OS X disks and verifying and repairing disk permissions?

spt

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Can't you use Partition Magic for this? I think it supports HFS+, so you may be able to repartition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.