Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I have a basic understanding of computer hardware and decided to experiment with a beige G3 that I had lying around and wasn't using at all otherwise. I decided that I would try to strip out the parts I didn't need in order to minimize the size of the thing and use it as a remote itunes server for the housemates and I. First, I took everything apart, reconnected the PS, HD, monitor, keyboard, and personality/sound card. It booted into OS9 (last thing on the hard drive) just fine, so then I shut it down, connected a bigger hard drive, and reconnected the CD drive. I then started it up from an OSX 10.2 disc and proceeded to partition the 80G hard drive into 4 and 70+ gig partitions and install Jaguar sans extraneous languages and printer drivers onto the 4G partition. Everything seemed to run fine and the restart option came up like normal. Upon restarting, the G3 booted from the CD again and went into the installation process. I restarted the computer and removed the CD from the drive and got the flashing disk, so I booted from the CD again and reinstalled. I've tried different locations of the hard drive on the ATA ribbon and different jumper settings (cable select, master, and master w/ slave). I've tried it with the CD drive connected and disconnected. Still no luck. The hard drive definitely spins up, and when booting from the CD is recognized as having OSX on it, but the G3 just won't recognize it as a startup disk. Any ideas? What else can I try?
Thanks.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
If you have a 9.1 or 9.2 installation CD, you could try starting the system off of that. Then bring up the Startup Disk control panel and see if it sees 10.2 as being on that 4 GB partition. If it does, then select it and restart.

Just to be sure, this 4 GB partition is at the start of the drive, right? If you install Mac OS X on any where other than the first 8 GB of a drive on a Beige G3 then the firmware will not see Mac OS X to boot from.

Some people forget that it isn't just an 8 GB limit... it has to be within the first 8 GB of the drive.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
ummm...
Thanks a mmillion for the response.
The C key was stuck down the whole time. I guess it's been a while since I used that keyboard.
It works fine now.
User error. :rolleyes:
Any suggestions on sticking this stuff in a new case? It's just the PS, a hard drive, and the motherboard. I'm planning on aiming the fan in the PS at the processor and keeping the ATA ribbon readily accessible for when I need the CD drive. Otherwise, just those three things will go in the case.
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.