Help! Monitor resolution glitch on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FredGarvin, Sep 10, 2007.

1. FredGarvin macrumors newbie

Hello.

An unpleasant event happened today...I went to open the display preferences, not to change anything, but just to look at the resolution choices available. Shortly after opening it, the screen went black as if resetting itself to a different resolution...and it never came back. Nothing I did would bring the display back on, so I had no choice but to blindly shut down using the power button.

I called support. He had me clear the PRAM....no effect. Then he had me do a Safe Boot. That brought the monitor back on, but at a different resolution.

The problem is that now I can't get it back to the 1024x768 that I have been running since I bought this mac pro 1 month ago. I can view at 832x624 or 1152x864, but not at 1024. Every time I try to set it there, the screen goes black for 15 seconds and then reverts to 832.

45 minutes into the call, my cell battery went dead, so that's as far as we got. I did a full hardware test and found no problems. I know the problem is not in the monitor. I have 2 CRTs (1 Dell, 1 Viewsonic). I hooked each to my old PC and they both work flawlessly at 1024. I hooked each to the Mac and neither would work at 1024, only 832 or 1152.

As I said, I've only had this machine for 1 month, and I want to get this thing back on 1024 where it belongs. Anyone ever run into this situation? Any suggestions for fixing the problem? Thanks!

Mac Pro 2.66 / 3 GB Ram / ViewSonic CRT monitor

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Under System Preferences, Displays, did you click on the "Detect Displays" to see if the resolutions will come back. Because even my mac, powerbook 15", I have all the resolutions you are looking to use.

3. FredGarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Detect Displays does nothing. The 1024 is still showing there as a choice, and always has been. But selecting 1024 just makes the screen go black for 15 seconds. Then the screen comes back, still stuck on 832.

Thanks.

Fred

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Maybe it has to do with Refresh Rate.
    Can you try a slower Refresh Rate?

The black screen could be the monitor can't handle whats being sent to it.

5. FredGarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Irrelevant now. The problem is fixed. A friend found an old post from someone with the same problem. He solved it by selecting Rotate 270 degrees. I did that, it stayed there for 15 seconds, then reverted back to normal at the desired 1024 res setting. As to why THAT would solve the issue, who knows? Weird. But it's fixed. Thanks for the suggestions!