Help! Mouse and keyboard is freezing on "wake-up" or "start-up"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, May 14, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hello,

My computer started acting funny yesterday. I have a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo running Tiger 10.4.11.

It started when I couldn't get my computer to eject my external HD. I tried closing every program and I just could not get it to say I could properly eject.

So I shut down and removed it.

Then when I started up, my keyboard was jammed on startup. Mouse was jammed too.

I tried shutting the lid and opening it... nothing.

I tried power shutting down and opening it... nothing.

Then I plugged the power cord in... repeated the opening and closing, powering down and starting up and EVENTUALLY, it unfroze and I could use the track pad and keyboard.

Phew, but then it has been happening again. on lid closing or start up. It just happened when I "woke it up" from this morning. frozen keyboard and mouse at log in. I restarted and then it started working.

Please help! What could be causing my computer symptoms? I think it is software. How do I see what I've installed in the last week to see if I did something to mess it up.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, the taking of the battery out and holding the power button does seem to fix the problem.

HOWEVER, the same problem continues to happen more than 75% of the time when I put the computer to sleep.

2 thoughts:

1) newer parallels 3.0 is causing it (recently installed). and parallels is often open when I shut the lid.
    2) something to do with the powercord being plugged in or not.

I notice it mainly when I put it to sleep with power plugged in and then wake it up on battery power or vice-versa.

Is anyone else having problems like this that happen often?

4. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

i can i run Hardware diagnostics with another mac's startup disk?

my disk is 40 min away by car.

can i use a 10.5 start up disk on my 10.4.11 MBP?