Help! Movie title?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sundog925, May 4, 2013.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

so im remembering this movie i used to watch all the time as a kid. i only remember fragments so maybe someone can help me figure out the title.

it has to do with a wolf. i remember a scene where someone tried trapping him with raw meat? i remember snow and people walking in snow shoes. i remember a scene where the wolf looks down a ravine and sees his owner? in a canoe going downstream. i think also they wanted to train the wolf to fight? and at the end, the owner fought the guy who took the wolf?

if any of this sounds familiar, feel free to chime in!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cute.

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Sounds a lot like Jack London's White Fang.

KGB:cool:

Attached Files:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A movie (which I have never seen) but which I can only assume (given the subject matter) was based on his wonderful book 'The Call Of The Wild'.

6. KaraH macrumors 6502

Not to be confused with the 2009 version of 'Call of the Wild', maybe one of the previous movies with the name. A sweet movie but some of the components listed are not in there. Anyway, it definitely sounds like a movie based off of one of London's books.

7. Shrink, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Much to my surprise, "White Fang" is not based on "Call Of The Wild", but was a companion novel to "Call Of The Wild".

Source

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gosh; I hadn't known that, and indeed, had never even heard of 'White Fang', although I have read a few of Jack London's books. 'Call Of The Wild' is rightly seen as a modern classic, and a terrific example of American writing......

Actually, I've been struck by the clear, crisp, precise prose and the exact (yet elegant) mode of expression of a whole generation or two of US writers, both novelists and journalists, who wrote from the mid 19th century to the mid twentieth century in the USA. Their prose is an absolute pleasure to read. Nathaniel Hawthorne is an early example, others such as Susan Coolidge, and the treasure L. Frank Baum come to mind, while journalists from Joseph Pulitzer to William Shirer were extraordinarily good and always wrote lovely readable prose with a professional respect for context and facts.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Reading between the lines, do I detect a subtle expression of dissatisfaction with the current crop of ink stained wretches and (gasp) bloggers??

For me, the current "journalists", and especially bloggers, put zero value on style, clarity, and...dare I say it, literacy itself.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not subtle at all. However, no, my post wasn't intended as a condemnation of the current generation of self-indulgent stylus wielding twits, (which I'll happily condemn whenever space and circumstance allow) but rather, was intended more as a generous salute, and genuine tribute to some US writers of true talent who wrote - roughly between 1850 and 1950.

It took a while for us in The Old World to realise that some in the US wrote exceptionally well, with an economy of expression yet love of language that was as spare, yet elegant as anything I have read.

An edit: Alas, it can be said that some of the current (what is the collective noun for those who attempt to dignify their published offerings, these days?) ah - generation of lauded manglers of language also tend to regard facts as optional extras, to be discarded at will, if inconvenient or uncomfortable.....

11. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'm going to have to watch all of them to see which it was.
    Im sure there was a boy involved though? And I could of sworn the wolf's name was nanook. Maybe I'm wrong though.

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc