Help moving a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adameels, Apr 12, 2009.

1. adameels macrumors member

Hey

I have a very large iTunes library which is in total 163 GB and growing (I'm so glad I bought the 160GB iPod when it was still available).

I currently have it on a 500GB external desktop hard drive that's formatted as MacOS Extended (Jornaled). Problem is I can't view hard drive with Windows

I've just purchased a portable 320GB hard drive. So now I have a few questions:

1- Can I move the library to the new hard drive and still keep user data such as song ratings, comments and date added?

2- What should I format the new hard drive as so I can use it with both Windows and Mac, with read and write access? The largest file in the library is an MP3 file of 3.05GB. Apparently some formats don't allow copying or writing of large files.

3- Can I use another computer, which is a Vista machine to manage the same library?

Thanks for any help in advance.

-adam

2. daringone macrumors newbie

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

FAT32 is fine. Though there are ways around the format problems by using third party programs.

4. adameels thread starter macrumors member

Wow that's really informative, I'm still reading it lol, but so far it's proved very helpful. Thanks for that.

I had a 250GB drive that was FAT32, seemed to work well under Mac and Windows, except copying large files to it. Do you know any workarounds?

5. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

The best workaround would be to just format it to the Native mac version and get the app for windows that will still allow you to use it on the windows pc's. Trust me FAT32 is a pain in the ass. I don't know why, but in my experiences my drives that I formatted to FAT32 always ended up dying early. And when they aren't even broke, but just need a little bit of tuning up (a little more than disk utility), good luck finding an app that will work on them. Disk Utility is a no. My last FAT32 drive was my 500gb portable, and it sucked because I have a 1.5 tb stationary ext. HD that is set up for time machine but I couldn't get it to automatically backup the ext. drive because time machine doesn't work with FAT32 either.

But long story short, I'm a dj and my music all has to be in lossless format or atleast 320 kbps, so I had a 500gb external hd that I just used for my daily listening itunes songs as well as my 100gb+ DJ'ing library. And a bunch of school stuff. The stupid thing got to where it would never mount, and after ejecting itself so many times without being unmounted (because it never showed up on the desktop), it finally started experiencing some hardware failures and I had to copy alll of my stuff off of it and Like you said fat32 sucks when it comes to large amounts of data so for example, I couldn't just copy my itunes music folder off the drive because that would just freeze it. I had to copy about 4 artists at a time. Note that this was when the HD was failing, and I was copying data off of it at >1mb/s. So after a week or so of doing that, the drive finally died and I still hadn't got all my stuff off of it.

Now I'm not even using an ext hd, mac formatted or otherwise, I just bought the 500gb internal drive.

6. adameels thread starter macrumors member

The failures may or may not related to FAT32 but I always thought FAT32 was a bit outdated. I say 'maybe not related' because portable hard drives seem to have a very short life span, but I agree with not wanting to use FAT32. The windows-reading-mac-format idea is good but I intended to use the drives for other computers that I don't own. Much of the size of the music content are music productions that I've made in WAV format. NTFS is better but can't be edited on mac, so if there's a workaround there that would be great.

I'm still waiting for my 320GB HDD to arrive, so I'll soon inform if I had any sucess. :cool: