HELP! Moving an early 2008 MBP over to Mavericks.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Serbski, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Serbski macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So I'm still using my early 2008 MPB. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to upgrade at the moment so thats not an option.

I've just purchased a 3rd party battery and charger to get the old beauty back into the game.

I'm currently running Leopard OSX so I can't access the app store to get Mavericks.

Is there any way I can download Mavericks via my PC and then boot it onto my mac with a USB drive?

Ideally I'm looking to clean install Mavericks onto the Mac as I want to wipe my harddrive (after I've saved the important stuff!) and start a fresh... and possibly sell the macbook and invest in a newer one!

So TL:DR

How can I get Mavericks onto a MBP running Leopard without using another mac to download it?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

No, you can't access the App Store from Windows, you'll need to buy Snow Leopard in between.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
    Presumably you could also go into an Apple Store, log in, and download it there from one of their Macs, then build a bootable installer later.

3. Serbski thread starter macrumors newbie

So there's no way to download a .dmg file from a torrent site?

In theory I could go into the apple store with a memory stick and download it and transfer it to the stick?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

If you're willing to trust that the OS isn't compromised, I guess that's possible.

Yes.

5. Serbski thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great one last question.

Hypothetically if I managed to get a dmg of Mavericks onto a USB drive can I do a clean install onto my mac with it? Or will I still need to download Snow Leopard?