HELP! moving iphone backups to new computer/new itunes library

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drummerboy03, Nov 23, 2010.

1. drummerboy03 macrumors member

Jun 14, 2009
    on my old macbook pro, my itunes library corrupted.

i got a new macbook unibody and am trying to get everything synced back up.

Since the previous itunes library was corrupt, i had to create a new itunes library on my new computer and import all the music from an external harddrive.

Now that the new itunes is setup I am scared to sync my iphone 4 because it is a new itunes library. I dont want to loose all my settings/contacts/sms/etc

on my old computer, i can navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and see multiple folders which i assume have my backups buried in. they are all garbled names, example: "977f40d8ea.....etc". I do not see any naming convention involving my iphone name or dates of backups.

Does anyone know how i should approach this? I want to get my iphone 4 all synced up with my new computer and new itunes library, but i don't want to lose all my settings!

any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED! thanks in advance
  2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2007
    Just transfer the backup files to the same place on the new computer. In iTunes, it should give dates/names for the backups automatically.
  3. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok thanks I'll try that. Is there anyway for me to make a backup right now of the phone so that I can restore it to today's current state? It says my last backup was 2 months ago :/