Help! Moving iTunes library to external hard drive (step by step)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by latisha1903, Jan 2, 2010.

1. latisha1903 macrumors member

latisha1903

I just recieved an external hard drive for Christmas, and so far have only put my videos and some other folders on the drive. I would like to put my itunes library on there, but have NO idea how to go about doing this.

I have an ipod (8g) and want to be able to still sync and not lose any of my songs during transfer. I actually have more APPS than I do music, but I just want to move all those files to the external drive to clear up space on my mac (Powerbook G4, 10.4.11).

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. latisha1903 thread starter macrumors member

latisha1903

thanks for posting the link.

I tried that...and when I tried deleting a particular file, just to see if it was working I lost the file from both the harddrive folder as well as the intentional lost from itunes or vise versa.

Now I'm a bit scared to do it again, cause I would be devastated to lose all my apps, esp. those I've purchased.

Have you done this your self before?

3. slothrob macrumors 6502

You need to delete the old file from your computer through the Finder, not through iTunes, be sure you did that. Deleting the File through iTunes, after the move, will do exactly what you describe, removing the file from the new hard drive and iTunes.