Help - Moving iTunes library to network drive not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFanJeff, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I have read the Apple site for how to set the iTunes library to point to another location, but am having trouble. What I did was copy my entire iTunes folder over to my network hard drive and all the files copied just fine. However, when I point iTunes to that location, the files still point to the old default iTunes. I checked this by using "get info" for the files in the library and it still points to the old location and not the new one.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on what may be going on or why it is refusing to point to the new location? Any help appreciated on this if you have done this yourself.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you referring to this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449?

Did you check both the keep media organized and copy to itunes media folder boxes?

Personally, I prefer moving the iTunes Library database as well as the Media folder as this avoids the database being available even when the media isn't.

B

3. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I read that article and went by it which is why I am puzzled. I did check both of those settings and I also copied the entire iTunes folder that has all of the media including the iTunes Library database.

When I closed the settings after choosing the new folder location it did not prompt me with anything but it does say it is pointing to the new location. When I check it though with "get info" it still points to the original install location.

Thanks for the help.