Help - moving iTunes music to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hnfiwen, Jan 15, 2009.

1. hnfiwen macrumors newbie

hnfiwen

Hi!

I recently bought a 160GB external hard drive, and decided to transfer my iTunes music to it. I followed the instructions in the Help section of the iTunes program.

The first time, I mistakenly created an empty "iTunes" folder and put an "iTunes music" folder inside, where i proceeded to copy the files. I had already set the defult location of the library to my F: drive, my external hard drive. However, the original location of the files stayed in iTunes.

Again, following the advice of the iTunes program, I deleted the original folders, and I dragged the new iTunes music folder into the window - at which point i had TWO copies of each file - the first one with an exclamation beside it (original file missing) and the second being my new copies.

Deciding that I didn't know what to do at this point, I restored the original files and proceeded to remove the copies of all the letter "A" and "B" files one by one from my external hard drive copies - so then I had ONE copy (original) of A's and B's, and TWO copies (original and external hard drive) of everything else. I hadn't moved my iTunes library at any point.

I have now changed the location of my iTunes music on the external hard drive, so it is NOT contained within any other iTunes or music folders. I have set the external folder again as the default. However, when I tried deleting the original this time, it said the files were too big to be moved to the recycle bin. I don't want to lose these copies permanently, in case they are not saved properly to my external hard drive. I did the whole "consolidate library" thing on both external and original.

How on earth can I get one copy of each song to appear in iTunes, off the external hard drive? Keeping playlists and counts would be super.

By the way, I'm using Windows Vista.

Thanks to anyone who can help out :)

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Dunno why they would tell you that. Here's the proper method.

1. Enter the file path of the new location in iTunes preferences.
    2. Use the "consolidate library" function.

iTunes will copy all of your files to the new location. :)

Detailed instructions