Help - Moving iTunes to NAS - Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFanJeff, Jun 11, 2011.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I am having problems setting up my iTunes music, movies, etc. on my NAS instead of my current hard drive it is on now. After reading the Apple site, I found what I thought would help, but I have some problems.

First, it said to make sure you have checked the two settings in the screenshot for both "keep iTunes media folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to". They are both tuned on now as you can see. The problem I have is now there are nested folders in my old folder called "music, movies, etc." where all my content has been transferred to now after changing those settings (see screenshots below). That is fine, everything works, but what do I do with all the old folders and such that are outside of the "music, movies, etc." folders? They are no longer updated and seem to just be an old duplicate I thought iTunes would remove. What should I delete here and what should I keep that is the new settings?

Second, when I move these over to my NAS, how or what do I need to copy over so it points to the NAS device for everything from now on instead of my current drive on my computer?

Totally confused by some of this and can't figure out all the duplicate folders and such or how to get things going on my NAS. Thanks for any help here.

Attached Files:

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hmm, from the look of it, you need to hit the Change button next to iTunes Media Folder Location and change it to a folder on your NAS volume. After you've done this, do: Choose File > Library > Organize Library. iTunes will copy everything over reorganize the library. After this, you can go into your itunes folder under My Music and delete the media files only - leave the library alone :)

3. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will give that a try. Also, before I move my entire library over to a home server, I see where some of my older songs are a poor quality and I would like to basically start over with my CD library imports for best quality.

My question is, how can I keep my Apple purchases such as music, movies, etc. and basically delete all the old music I do not need since I will be staring over from my CD collection? What folders should I hold on to and how do I restore those items I have purchased from Apple?

Thanks.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you can hold off doing the deletions (and move your library as-is) for a couple months, iTunes Match is part of the Fall iCloud rollout. That would download all of your ripped music in 256aac quality for $25 a year. You could cancel the subscription after the initial download though. Might save you time considering your library is so big :)