Help moving Photos library to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xexets, Jun 10, 2015.

1. xexets macrumors newbie

Hello!
    So I got a new Mac, lucky me!
    Now I would like to move my Photos.app library (150gb) to the new Mac. It's iCloud library.
    If I just download it on the other Mac via iCloud, a part from taking ages it will sync everything but not the Faces album (only the metadata) and not smart albums...

If I physically move it from the old to the new mac, iCloud thinks it's a new library and when I prompt it to sync it starts uploading all 17000 photos (which are all already online of course). Question here: will iCloud see the duplicates and skip uploading or will it actually duplicate all the pictures?

Final option: migration assistant from Time Machine. A part from the fact that I get all the old stuff I don't want when I open photos app after the migration it prompts me to repair the library. After that, it takes ages to rebuild thumbnails. Ages, numerous crashes and at least 4 or five app restarts....

Am I missing something? Is there a way to easily migrate from old to new computer the library without re-syncing everything with iCloud and without having to download everything?

Thanks!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You missed out on Migration Assistant. Using that to copy at least your data would have done exactly what you want to do. If you had also included system settings and apps, your new Mac would have looked EXACTLY like your old one.