[HELP] Moving songs from iPhone to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Astronomist, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Astronomist macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB iPhone 3GS and a 2009 White Macbook running on 10.5. I recently wiped my macbook, thinking I could restore my iTunes Library from my iPhone music library. However, I cannot figure out how to do so.

2. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

No, I don't believe this is possible. Each iDevice such as an iPhone, iPod, or iPad is synched to a specific iTunes Library, and if you wipe out that Library and its preference files that stores the link to the device, it won't recognize your device for synching purposes.

I think you will have to transfer all your songs onto your computer through a third-party program such as Senuti. Although it does cost some money, 1) it's cheaper than re-buying the music you have on your phone and 2) it's simple to use and works great.

Once you transfer all your songs and import them to iTunes you can set up your phone as a new device on that computer (which will clear the songs) and then re-sync them.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

If he purchased the music from iTunes, he should be able to re-download without having to re-purchase. Using one of these third party transfer programs will definitely be faster, though.

5. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

Yes, didn't think of that.

I guess if all the music was purchased through iTunes you could just re-download but would you have to go and find each song on iTunes separately or would there be a playlist like 'Purchased' you could somehow access on the iTunes store to re-download them all?

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You want to use PhoneView:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

7. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Nah; if all the OP needs is the songs back, detune is the way to go; and it's free.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another app for accessing your iPhone contents is iExplorer.