help! MS Outlook erased my IMAP server!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by plunar, Jul 8, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

Unf*cking real. my office sets up outlook on my crap ass co-issued PC and puts my .mac account on it - only the god damn idiots in IT set it up as a POP server and it downloaded all 80MB of my inbox.... then erased every freaking message on the server! wtf?! how can i fix this??

2. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Can you set it back up as an imap server and then copy the messages back up there?

3. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

i'm afraid if i change it to an imap that it will just dump the local directory. i mean, this god damn windows has been pulling all sorts of ridiculous BS since i started using it. it just pulls retarded crap like delete your imap server without any notification, forces me to browse local files in a web browser, can't remember freaking list view settings, hides all my files in "my pictures folder" buried in the "my computer" icon, etc etc

if this is what vista is like, mac doesn't have much to worry about....

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

You should be able to tell the existing POP account to no longer download your messages and then set-up the .mac account as an additional IMAP account, then drag the messages back. No reason you should cause any harm by doing that. If you are unsure if the messages are actually there then set up a different e-mail client (thunderbird for instance) and connect to it using that one and see if all your mail is intact.