Help! MSN Messenger problem...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Captain Planet, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

So I have I think what is that latest version of MSN Mac...or however you call it. Anyways, only since yesterday, it's been shutdown for no reason...as soon as I try to chat with someone, or close a window. It keeps showing an error message and closes. What can I do?

2. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Well I re-installed it...I think it might of done the trick.

3. etorres macrumors member

Exactly the same thing is happening to me and a couple of friends. I tried reinstalling mac messenger with no luck. It seems to be a widespread problem and microsoft doesnt seem in much of a hurry to fix it. msn messenger is already in version 8 for some some time, while mac users are stuck with an anemic version 6. Unfortunately ichat isnt compatible with msn, so we are stuck with this crappy version. Hopefully microsoft will deliver a better upgrade, future versions of ichat will be compatible with msn or some other viable and compatible client will be available for mac users.

4. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Yeah...I thought it worked but it still does the same thing after re-installing it.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Its a known issue - Safari 3 breaks MSN Messenger, as well as a number of widgets.

Link : http://groups.google.com/group/micr...134aa1b9fba/f70721d1022a68bb#f70721d1022a68bb

6. ElCambo macrumors regular

:O is that why my amazon art widget is no longer working! Damn you safari 3. im getting rid of you.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Agreed. Same thing happening to me!

Oh well, Adium is good.
    And I'm more inclined to damn Microsoft than Apple.

8. etorres macrumors member

Lets look at the bright side... For a long time OS X users have been forced to use a stripped down, obsolete version of messenger. Maybe finally we will get a fully featured messenger, or maybe not. lets cross our fingers.

9. tidyamo macrumors newbie

MESSENGER SAFARI 3 bug

I too have all the same problems as above - since installing Safari 3 beta I get kicked out of messenger when closing down a conversation window - time to uninstall Safari 3 me thinks

amo2007

10. Teddy's macrumors 6502

11. tidyamo macrumors newbie

safari 3 beta and messenger

YES it does break MSN Messenger - now im trying to re-vert back to older Safari for now as I need Messenger for work

12. 2Shae macrumors 6502

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about the alternatives, aMSN, Adium and Mercury? You can try one of those instead.

14. jazzguy macrumors newbie

sign on problem

Can someone help me????
    My MSN works fine, except when i click the msn icon to start up, it doesnt ask me for a password...instead it automatically signs me on and connects me. I need more privacy than that, and want to know how to set it so that it always asks me for a password.

At work, where i have the windows version on a pc, it asks me for a password as long as i signed off the previous time.

With the mac, it doesnt matter whether i signed off or not. It always connects me without password.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Google the tutorial (free) to get MSN contacts through Jabber (free account) in iChat. Download Psi (free) to expedite this process. No one should be forced to Microsoft software on their Mac.:p Especially when you can use iChat instead. I used aMSN (couldn't ever stand Adium) until I got it to work exclusively in iChat. If anything, check it out and if you hate it, just switch back to the Microtard's app when they release version 7 later this year (Read: Next year). ;)

16. xpisnotforme macrumors member

-5 points for utilizing msn messenger. i wonder if hidden code realized it was connected to a mac and crashed it.