Help, my 2009 27" iMac has gray screen!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleWarMachine, Oct 2, 2015.

1. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

For the past week, my late 2009 27" iMac (3TB HDD) has been acting up. I leave my computer on all the time, but when i go to use it, it just has a grey screen, so I reboot, everything seems to start up fine (slowly), but when I go to launch any application, i get the spinning beach ball, then after a while the screen goes grey. Also, sometimes during the reboot, the screen will just turn grey as well. Any ideas??? (I am running Yosemite and have Not upgraded to El Capitan yet)
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

sounds like a dying hard drive to me.

3. AppleWarMachine thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

bummer, I just had it replaced about a year ago through the Apple HDD replacement program...I guess it's time to install a SSD instead?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It may not be of course but that is what it sounds like, these things are very difficult to diagnose with just a description. If you have an external back up try booting from that if it works fine then it's your hard drive.

5. AppleWarMachine thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I do have and external back up and I'll try booting from that...thanks

6. AppleWarMachine thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Update...I erased my entire hard drive, did a clean/fresh install of OSX, used time machine to restore data and Boom...everything is back to normal (even upgraded to El Captain), thanks for your help