Help!! MY 2012 MBP and Its Graphical Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacoby123, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jacoby123 macrumors newbie

I purchased a MBP 2012 model in Sept 2013 and after about a month's use noticed dimming of screen and intermittent distorted apple logos (with stripes) appearing on the screen during boot-up as well as quick flickering screen while working with the unit. The screen freezes too when the resolution is changed. I brought in the unit to an Authorized Service Provider (I live in Asia) in Dec 2013 who advised a software upgrade for a fee which I agrred to. The problem replicated soon after I brought home my unit. I brought back the unit in Jan 2014 and was advised that the logic board had to be replaced (under warranty). After a month, I brought home my unit with a new logic board. However, I encountered the same set of issues after a few weeks. I have not touched the resolution upon advice of Tech Support. A this point, my local service center suggested that I call Apple HQ Asia Pacific for possible options. Apple HQ advised (April 2014) that it was a software issue and that I should wait for the update but could not give a timetable when it will be available. I politely requested for a refund or replacement but was denied as Apple insists that it is a software issue. After a series of emails and call backs for , I was getting frustrated and went back to my local service provider for any help. They ran some tests on my unit again and re-installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5. The graphical issues manifested right after the re-installation. In addition, the screen went into this weird pixelized distorted image. I have called Apple HQ back yesterday and insisted on a refund or replacement. The Senior Adviser was very sympathetic but confessed the Customer Relations refused to give a replacement on the grounds of it being a software issue.

I am sorry for this very long post but I am really confused. Is this really a software issue? If so, why do the issues replicate after upgrading to 10.8.5? Can Apple really tell its consumers to wait for a software upgrade without any timetable in sight? If I've exhausted all available hardware and software options and the issues persist, am I not entitled to a replacement unit? My daughter uses this unit for her web design business and not being able to manipulate the resolution can be quite troublesome for her. Also. my warranty expires in Sept this year, should I buy Applecare for the next years?

I would really appreciate your inputs.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Update to Mavericks (10.9.4) and see how it goes first.

If the problem still persists, you're looking at a hardware problem.

3. jacoby123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I would rather not upgrade to Mavericks, just a matter of preference. What other options would I have?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its a driver issue and based on your post it might be, your only option is to go to Mavericks. I don't think Apple is going to provide any updates to Mountain lion at this point.

I can't quite tell, because of the lack of paragraphs, its a little hard to follow your post - sorry.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mountain Lion is no longer supported by Apple for driver updates.

Your only option is to upgrade to Mavericks and see how it goes first.

6. jacoby123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies! Apple is replacing my unit! Yay!:)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Great to hear and good luck with your new unit.

8. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

That's good! next time if you have issues, call apple in the US! Explain them everything and most of the times they are nicer and have authority over everything. If they agree to change your unit, they will issue a number and you take that the Asian HQ and they can't do anything, when they check the number in the system it will say replace unit!

Something similar happened to me, bought my MBP in US, after 11 months, the mag safe cable started to disconnect and you had to move it to charge, and I was in Mexico when it started to happen. The Apple Authorized Store wouldn't change it.

A month after the warranty was over, the cable stop working. The Mexican Apple refused to change the charger saying it doesn't matter it started before, it broke now! I called the US Apple and explained them and they gave me a number and told me to take it to the Mexican store and they gave me a new charger!