Help - My 360 can't connect to my Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Amblinman, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

So I set up my Time Capsule today and it was smooth sailing up until I fired up my xbox 360. It "sees" my network, or at least it reads as "connected" but whenever I try to access xbox live I'm told my wireless network isn't connected.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

2. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

3. gcrowell macrumors member

Did you check MTU on the Time Capsule?

Not even sure you can adjust it on TC, but it must be at least set to 1364, or no dice getting to xBox Live.

4. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

I tried calling MS about it, and of course they insist it's an Apple issue. They wanted me to call Apple and get my "WPA passphrase" which I already had and was correct.

Looking through those other forums, I think I may try hooking it up to a long eithernet cable, just so I can get updates to games. What a mess.

5. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Known problem with the X360 and the only reason I am not buying Time Capsule. I wish Microsoft would fix it, but since they wont I hope Apple will step up!

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, I'm sorry for you and that's pretty sad that you would let something as miniscule as having concerns about being able to connect your game console via TC over the fact that your computer has apps and information that needs backing up to protect from data loss.

A game machine is more important than protecting your computer's data? :rolleyes:

7. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Luckily I recently moved and my computer is in a room directly behind my living room where my 360 is, so about 14 feet of ethernet cable will solve it for me. But it's b.s. when my PS3 connects to the TC no problem but the 360 and its $100 wireless adapter can't.

8. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Ill plug it into my external hardrive for back-ups. The point was that I wanted to automate the function, but without X360 support it makes no sense for me. Ill continue to back-up my computer the same way I have for years.

9. Tylox macrumors newbie

Tylox

Even though I have a wireless router, I still run a direct line to my xbox360. I want the best connection for my FPS sessions!

10. gcrowell macrumors member

Concur- wireless sucks for online gaming, IMHO. Both my 360 and PS3 are hard-lined in. Never an issue with connectivity.

11. mperez89 macrumors newbie

After searching more about this problem, I learned that there are basically two options to solve this problem.

Option A
    Daisy-Chaining an Airport Extreme adapter to the Time Capsule (a process that seems all-too-complicating for my taste).
    If you're interested in this option, click below:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1431556&tstart=0
    Airport Extreme - $99.00

Option B
    Replacing your Microsoft Wireless Adapter with:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/bridges/linksys-dual-band-wireless/4505-3304_7-32816755.html
    $80.00 product

According to the testimony of a satisfied buyer on the apple support forums, you plug into your Time Capsule via Ethernet, and voila! instant gratification. Xbox 360 detects network, connects, and works flawlessly, with "better reception" - says the post.

Now, in my case, since both my younger brother and I have xbox 360's that i connect via stolen internet and microsoft adapter, and he connects via very long ethernet cable (which slows connection speed, in itself)... I think i'm going to go with buying the new adapter, since this way, I can sell the Microsoft Adapter, which refuses to connect to my Time Capsule (and many others), and both xboxes can run wirelessly, hassle-free.

I just thought I'd share this newfound information :D
    Happy Hunting.

12. william tell macrumors newbie

This might help :/

Yea, the 360 can connect to the TC however there is an issue with distance. The 360 needs to be within the same room of the TC. I moved it just one room away and it connected to the TC but didnt pull and I.P, same room and viola a connection.