Help! My bootcamp partition is 'not mounted' and not working!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabre364, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

I want to use vmware to get into my windows partition. However, the 'untitled' windows partition is not showing up on my osx desktop.

It is saying it is 'not mounted', how do I fix this.

here is a screenshot from disk utility...nothing's working, but the partition is fine.

[​IMG]

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I tried that...this is a big problem, I used migration assistant to bring over a bunch of stuff on a new install of osx. This included my vmware. I saw the untitled hard disk (the windows partition) earlier but somewhere along the line the mac froze and I just hard rebooted. Now I can't find the untitled on the desktop, vmware won't work and this whole mounting problem in disk utility.

I don't know what to do, even if I image the windows partition, it will be the same and it won't see it. :mad:

The below is the screenie of when I hit mount.

[​IMG]

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If VMWare is being screwy, you should try a reinstall. Don't know, it might work.

Try a regular restart or two. When my MacBook has a hardware problem, a restart (or two :p) will always fix the problem.

If it doesn't... Genius Bar. :rolleyes:

5. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I figure i should reinstall vmware...but i dont know if it will help because the partition 'untitled' aint showing up anyways on my osx desktop...

and i've already run chkdsk in windows

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You aren't giving enough info to make a good analysis
    Tell us exactly what you have done regarding Migration, Boot Camp Assistant, VMware, etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

8. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled osx. Did all updates. Used Migration assistant to transfer over my stuff. I actually did it twice cause I guess the first time it never took over my big files, but that was no big deal. Then I was doing some stuff, opening firefox, what not, and I think what happened was I opened OnyX to try and unlock my dock. The first thing that pops up in onyx is the 'verify startup disk' thing. I think I accidently clicked continue and then I force quit onyx quickly. Everything was working a-ok, and I did some more updates or something rebooted, and I opened a couple programs at once, the dang thing froze up on me...and I hard rebooted, since i wasnt getting any response.

At that point I had noticed the windows partition (Untitled or disk0s2 or whatever) disappeared from my desktop. It had done that before when I was using vmware (as in the windows o/s was booted) but it always came back. Occasionally I had to boot up from startup into windows and shut down properly to get it back. That was no big deal.

Now with a missing untitled drive, I couldn't do anything. Vmware wasn't working, and I tried everything in disk utility ...the two images I posted. First was after I had tried both first aid steps in disk utility. Second image is the error message I got after hitting 'mount' in disk utility.

I ran chkdsk again (I had run it once already when I was updating vista and booting directly to that earlier) just now. No problems. Of course its still missing.

Looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall osx again and hope everything works this time.

I've been having so many problems with this computer lately its really driving me insane.

Doesn't help that I can barely scroll with my touchpad when natively using windows since there appears to be no control for that and it goes really really fast along with my cursor movements.

9. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

So I've been running windows natively...but now when I try to boot into osx it gets to the gray apple screen and the circle just keeps spinning...

I tried inserting the osx cd and booting from it to reinstall the os, but when it looks for drives to install to, it just spins and can't find anything! I can read the mac partition A OK with windows using macdrive and macdrive also says there are no errors in the partition. I guess I have one last shot to fix someting before taking it to the nearest apple store (1.5 hours away)...try and reformat the mac partition from windows using macdrive and pray that the osx install discs can recognize it as a place to install to.