Help. My brand new iPhone 4 home button will not click anymore.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Jun 3, 2011.

1. AndrewR23, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Is there ANY way I can fix this? I cannot go into a genius bar and get a refurb when my brand new iPhone 4 is only a week old.

The button was fine an hour ago but wont click at all.

the button is stuck.

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

They should replace it with a new one since it's a week old...

3. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

if a hard reset doesn't help take it back as you have had it less than 30 days. say that it is broken or defective from the box. They will give you a new one as that is what you contracted for.

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

No I mean this phone was not purchased in the 30 days. I received a brand new phone from applecare after about 7 horrible refurbs from the genius bar.

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Heres what I mean. The Home button DOES NOT push down. Its like the actual button is stuck in the phone.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That's starting to sound like a psychiatric problem. OCD? Prozac? :p:D

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:rolleyes:You've been getting refurb replacements, so what's wrong with another refurb?

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

What? My phone is brand new from applecare. I received it in a brand new unopened retail box.

Its not OCD. Its the yellow tinted screens. Just ignore that and is this fixable?

9. EddyP macrumors 6502

If you really had issues with 7 (now 8) phones, you are the most unlucky person on earth. Please let me know where you are so I stay away from you. If you were a serial phone returner who begged for a new one for no good reason, I'd call this karma.

Why can't you return it? This seems like a legit problem. Even if it's your 300th replacement, it can't be more than a year old.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Both my iPhone 4 and my son's suffered home-button failures. IMHO it's a weak spot in the design.

Take it back. The replacement units are flawless, in our experience.

BUT FIRST: They will advise you to try restoring-as-new first. It's silly and pointless but just do it ahead of time to prevent a return trip. (Not needed if the button has lost its "click" and is clearly mechanically faulty... but still back it up in iTunes.)

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

No. Why should i give my brand new 1 week old phone for a refurbished one with a washed out screen like the 30 plus I've seen.

I dont get why I am so unlucky.

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Wow, totally not my experience.

This is my fourth iPhone 4. My first got drowned a few days after purchase when I fell into my pool. My second was without fault for many months but was replaced when I reported an issue with the Personal Hotspot capability that turned out to be a bug in 64-bit OS X 10.6.something (since resolved). The third was without fault but in heavy use developed the mushy/intermittent home button. My son's replacement unit is also flawless.

I also went through two replacements of my previous iPhone 3G. Again, no issues with the replacements.

Sorry you're having such a bad run. But definitely go back to the Genius Bar if your button is now stuck. I would strongly caution against any attempt to fix it yourself (aside from maybe slapping it against your palm) for fear of harming your warranty.

13. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

like we said. take the phone back. Talk to a mgr if you need to. If you will only be happy with a brand new phone then tell them that.

Are you rough on your phones perhaps?

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I have discerned no difference between the service-replacement units and the "brand new" ones save for packaging.

Washed-out screen? Never seen that either. Very odd.

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Not at all. I swear the phone was perfect working just fine. I picked it up from my desk and the button didnt click. looked at it and its completely recessed into the phone.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're telling me that all the refurbs you received had yellow screens? Were you looking at them in the wrong light or through yellow tinted glasses?
    I'm not saying to ignore the yellow. However, ask yourself if it's an obvious yellow or if you're viewing it in the wrong kind of light to see the yellow.

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

19. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

SF, cupertino, Irvine, Mision Viejo and Sacramento.

Must be a CAli thing.

going to apple store to see if they can fix it. If not getting a brand new phone from the store or from applecare.