Help! My client can't see a page of new website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Figory, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Figory macrumors member

I have almost completed a website.

I'm using Rapidweaver. The problem page is a collage page.

My client can't see the page, but everyone else (on Rapid weaver forums etc)

can see it fine. I'm at a loss and am thinking at this stage it has to be her computer. She has a Mac and is using Safari.

I'm desperate at this stage and don't know what to suggest. I need the help of a Mac expert. Could the settings on her computer be stopping her view the page?

She can see the page. ie: the back ground color and an icon I had placed in the footer and the page header. But she cannot see the collage. which is 3 pictures with pull down boxes.

Any suggestions would be for ever appreciated! I've published it to
    www.figory.com

The problem page is the gallery. can you see the three pictures? And any ideas why she cant?????

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Seeing as you didn't specify, I'm presuming the page in question is the Gallery?

The 3 pictures show up fine for me, in both Firefox and Safari.

It could be that she has Javascript blocked?

3. Figory thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for quick reply.

Sorry yes I just updated my problem. Yes its gallery.

Javscript blocked ... that sounds hopeful.

Thank you!

4. Figory thread starter macrumors member

Java Script

Please excuse my ignorance.

But how do I find out if its because Java script problem.

And if so rectify?
    :eek:

thanks

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well I just disabled Java and Javascript in Safari to see, and this is what the results look like. The page still appears to be useable, just without the fancy graphics.

Not really sure what the problem could be I'm afraid.

Attached Files:

6. Figory thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks so much
    RATS I HAD HIGH HOPES FOR THAT,

Its turning into a nightmare!

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a couple CSS errors on the gallery that could potentially be contributing. Also, can you find out what version of Safari she is using? I tried with Safari 3.1 and all looks fine. See if she has any other browsers installed to try as well. Just simple little things to troubleshoot.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

What makes you say that? Seems a little over reactive to me!

What's going on is you're using Mootools (which uses JS) to create the fancy collage effects, based on your source code. As a developer, you cannot control it if users disable things like JS or visit with an old browser. If you did it in Flash, an applet, Active-X or whatever, you'd be in the same situation, so don't fret and remember Mootools is DOM compatible so it's supported on the widest possible platforms, so don't bother switching frameworks.

But there are minor issues you can resolve as the developer. I visited that page with JS disabled and you do need to address that situation in your code. You simply need to deal with the 3 instances of "Click here to view XXX gallery" located below each of the 3 thumbs where XXX is the gallery name. These are no longer hyperlinks with JS disabled, but the gallery name located just below the thumb is a hyperlink and does work properly. So I'd simply remove those 3 instances when JS is disabled (which means use JS to display them).

You might also consider adding a noscript tag in any script block in your head area to simply display "Please enable Javascript in your browser or update to a browser that supports Javascript" or whatever. Quick technical note on using the noscript tag since you're using XHTML 1.0 strict: You MUST wrap any HTML within a no-script tag within an opening and closing P tag to validate properly. Details about noscript and XHTML 1.0 strict with an example are discussed here.

-jim

9. Figory thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

Thanks so much everyone for your invaluable help. Almost sorted out now I think!