Help, my computer died on me after years of service

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bassfacekevin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bassfacekevin macrumors newbie

Ok, so here goes, I apologize if this has been posted before, but I looked around a bit and I couldn't find anything:

I am running a G4 1.5mhz powerbook (17") and long story short, the computer starts making hideous clanking noises located around where the HD is, and the computer stops being able to boot up OSX. So I assume it's a HD failure. I wasn't too perturbed as I have 95% of my data backed up, so I bite the bullet and decide to replace the HD.

So I replace the hard drive, get it all back together and I turn on the computer to see if the disk will start spinning, and it does. So I'm thinking "good." But then I notice that I'm getting a message that it's trying to boot off a network (flashing globe) and then I get a message that it can't find the OS (flashing little mac icon, and then a question mark over a file folder)

So I go to install OSX, but when I put the disc in when I'm getting the "can't find OS" notification, I turn the computer off, and then turn it on and hold down "C" the computer dosen't recognize the CD and will not boot off of it. Am I doing something wrong? This is driving me nuts!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and if this is a FAQ, I'm very sorry, and would you be able to point me in the direction of an appropriate response?

~Kevin

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, are you using the discs that came with the machine? :)