Help, My Dad moved his old iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Learjet035, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

My Pops was trying to backup his pics but somehow moved the main folder I think.

When iPhoto opens it shows dashed lines through all his pics.

We managed to find the original pics in spotlight but since it's an old version of iphoto it's in some weird location like:
    HD/Library/Desktop Pictures/ Pictures/ iPhoto LIbrary/ Data etc...

but then it's in "Rolls" so anyway, how the heck do I restore his pics?

Can I guide iPhoto to the pics somehow?

BTW I'm doing all this over the phone and I'm aging quickly!!!

ANy help would be awesome!!! thank you

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Does he have a backup of the pics? Restoring from a backup would be the easiest way. If he doesn't have a backup, be sure to set up one for him at some point- external HD, DVD, online....something.

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

If they're still on the same comp, if you hold down option/alt when you open iPhoto you'll be able to select the folder they're now in as the main library.

4. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, they're still on the same computer.

Does old iPhoto use the same "iphoto library" with the little orange picture next to it?

Problem is we can find the photos via spotlight, but then following the path back to where those photos live there's no iPhoto Library?

I don't get it

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I guess my comment was sort of stupid- I reread your post and see he was trying to backup so I assume he has no older backup to restore from.

Are you sure the ones you found through spotlight are original full size files and not thumbnails? If they are in a data file I think that was not the original pics if I remember right....I don't recall....what version of iPhoto is it?

I never have tried to do it, but is there any way to set up remote access so you can take control of his computer and find them and fix it? I know there are ways but I am unsure how. I eve had the support guy at Verizon do it over the phone so that may be your best option- then you can dig around the computer yourself and find them.

I had a similar situation with my in-laws where I was having to troubleshoot their Mac often- I never had to set up remote access due to them moving across the country to be near grandkids....lucky me huh!:rolleyes:

6. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm not sure about the remote access, that may be just as much a hassle trying to configure that with him =)

He's got a 5 year old imac, with the software from then so I'm not sure what version iPhoto. Also no ichat that I can screen share =(

I guess he's either going to have to wait till I visit or I have some more spotilight searching to do.

7. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know where iPhoto 6.0 stores the master photo?

I had him run a test:

I emailed him a 2mb photo and he imported it to iphoto.

Then I had him delete the photo that I sent him that he downloaded to his desktop.

Then in spotlight he searched for the pic. Spotlight only found the preview 64kb or something like that.

Where is the 2mb photo that he imported?

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have an older mac in the basement I will try and fire up and see if I have iPhoto 6 or close to it on there- Is the library in 6 maybe consolidated as a package like it is now where you can not see the folders/files without showing package?

I will try to get back before I leave for vacation tomorrow.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Ok- so I have iPhoto 6 on my old iMac. Here is a screen shot of what is stored in the User folder----->Pictures---->iPhoto folder

I showed the sizes of all the folders I could- I think the key folders are the originals and modified which all have 1-2MB files full size.

The data folder only has tiny files in it and are not the originals.

I checked my library---->desktop pictures folder and I ony have the apple desktop pictures that shipped with the comptuer and there are no data folders there.

you might spotlight for a folder called "Originals" or "Modified" and perhaps you will find the iPhoto folder with the full sized pics.

Do you know anything else about how he tried to backup the pics- did he just drag the folder to a DVD or CD icon or something else?

Another option would be to try to recover the pictures even if he has thrown them away in the trash- not sure how involved that is and if he could do it over the phone.

Have you had him check the trash too for the iPhoto folders/pictures?

also, is there other user logins that he may have moved the folder into one of those login folders- if they are not locked one could probably drag the file there on accident.

when searching spotlight are you sure he is searching the entire computer and not just certain folders?

Attached Files:

10. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for checking all that.

We checked the trash and what not, seems like he didn't delete so that's good.

I'll have him run the spotlight for "originals" didn't think about that one.

The file system is pretty complex for iPhoto, guess that's why they switched it up in the newer versions.

Have a good vacation and thanks again
    :)