HELP- My Downloads Are Disappearing!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Feb 19, 2011.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I am a fairly new mac user. I have had my mac since september and it works great but for some reason my downloads are disappearing on me all o fthe sudden and I do not know what has happened. When I download a file normally, the download box opens up showing me the file and what % the download is at. However, now the box is completely empty. I know I am downloading files though because the website says i am downloading a file AND the bottom of the download box says "3 downloads" but they are nowhere to be found. When i look for them in the downloads folder in my finder, there is a file with a "safari logo' but when i click on it, it just brings be back to the empty downloads box. What do i do ??? PLEASE HELP.

2. Nichod macrumors regular

Did you perhaps move where Safari downloads your files?

3. Sudaddy macrumors member

Can you search for the downloaded file name on Spotlight and see where it may be saved?

Or just use Chrome and see if that works.

4. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

i know where the file is....it just changes. its still in my downloads folder but but its a safari logo now. and if i click on it to open it it brings me back into the empty downloads box again. (however, at the bottom of the box it still says 3 downloads)

5. Sudaddy macrumors member

What type of file it originally is? If it is a movie file, can you open it with, say, VLC or QuickTime? Also check the file size. If it's just few KBs, the file may not have been downloaded properly.

My intuition is that Safari didn't download the files properly. I would try a different browser and see.

6. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

the files are .rar i usually use VLC, or stuffit to open them. they are 80 MB so they are pretty big. its not the browser because i have download files similiar to this before. its like i accidentally switched something on my setting without noticing....

7. Sudaddy macrumors member

Right click on the file and then Open With Stuffit. See what happens.

If it opens normally, then right click on the file once again, then click "Get Info". In there, change your software in "Open With"