Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
So, I know this has probably been covered, but most people are just talking about mavericks and its benefits of his it handles it memory usage.

I think its BS. Nothing has changed on my computer, no new software aside from the update and nothing unusual. Now my computer takes upwards of a minute to open photoshop and I know chrome is tough on macs but 15-20 seconds is the normal. I get the beach ball more often and when it comes to saving images, or opening them in preview it takes forever.

I am a photographer and I thought my 350 gigs of raw photos was the issue. I deleted them all. Was using like 90 gigs of 500. Checked my memory usage and from everyone who posted they claim its normal.

I was about to pull the trigger on some memory, noticed 16 gigs runs about $175 so thats cheaper than a new computer. Any idea how much of a difference this will make? Also, I am no computer genius I prefer cars and cameras.

I have attempted a few fixes provided from here and nothing

Thanks

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you're processing to that same drive, an SSD isn't a bad idea. I would probably up ram no matter what. The cpus on the newest ones aren't much faster. The gpus don't make a noticeable difference in that program. One of the really annoying things that was never fixed is that spotlight tends to conflict with scratch disks. You're probably running into that if it's slowing to a crawl. Also be careful on your settings. Photoshop has a memory allowed preference. If you set it too high and the OS is starved, that will definitely slow things to a crawl. It eats ram due to the amount of caching, so more is always better to a point. It's only using 849MB at the moment, but it probably writes quite a bit to disk. If you want you can always disable spotlight on system folders via preferences -->privacy. That should help with the lag. Even with a new one, the main things that will be faster for your situation will be more ram +ssd, and high capacity ssds are much cheaper if you buy them yourself.

Jgraeff

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
I'm having the same issue, I can get by but it's super slow. And ML was blazing fast.. This shouldn't happen.

Everything takes forever to open and battery life is a joke. My computer uses a ton of juice while sleeping I could leave me computer on for days and days and come back and only lose a few percent now it dies almost every day from sleep.

Tried to reset mac and pram now help.

Only option is clean install or revert back but that's such a hassle.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I'm having the same issue, I can get by but it's super slow. And ML was blazing fast.. This shouldn't happen.

Everything takes forever to open and battery life is a joke. My computer uses a ton of juice while sleeping I could leave me computer on for days and days and come back and only lose a few percent now it dies almost every day from sleep.

Tried to reset mac and pram now help.

Only option is clean install or revert back but that's such a hassle.

First off thanks to the both of you for replying.

My issues are absolutely identical. I got from 100% to off in less than 3 hours I think. Did both fixes as well and nothing. I get so irritated because after a wedding I have upwards of 2500 photos to sift through and opening a couple hundred at a time in preview it takes sometimes 10 seconds going from photo to the next

davidc81

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013

My issues are absolutely identical. I got from 100% to off in less than 3 hours I think. Did both fixes as well and nothing. I get so irritated because after a wedding I have upwards of 2500 photos to sift through and opening a couple hundred at a time in preview it takes sometimes 10 seconds going from photo to the next

same issue with my 2009 15".
after 10.8 and CS6...everything is noticeably slower and it's quite frustrating.

will listen to any advice. I'm tempted to even get a new MBP

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Doh for some reason I thought you were still on Mountain Lion. If you use it for work, you should be VERY conservative on updating your OS. If it is working fine, absolutely do not update until you're sure that the current version is stable.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Have you tried doing a clean install? From my experience, Apple's upgrade isn't fool proof. I would try that first.

8GB of memory and a SSD would be a no brainer upgrade. I'm a photographer myself. :)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I was about to pull the trigger on some memory, noticed 16 gigs runs about $175 so thats cheaper than a new computer. Any idea how much of a difference this will make? Also, I am no computer genius I prefer cars and cameras.

that would make a lot of difference, i'm using 16 GB memory on my late 2011 mbp, and everything is buttery smooth. your 4GB memory seems puny for what you do.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Try using Activity Monitor to see what's Taxing the System..

Hello.. I am using a mid-2011 2.2 i7, with 16GB of RAM and a M4 SSD as well as the stock 750GB HD in the Optical Bay.. Running newest (and updated as I know) Mavericks and I surely do not see any measurable difference in any tasks..

I would suggest you read through/do a Forum Search on the 2nd thread for applicable info, and Run Activity Monitor to see WHAT is taxing your System/RAM, and then you can likely make some informed decisions..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1616811/

I was lucky enough to get 2x 8GB of RAM back when it was really quite cheap, but it has gone UP a bit lately.. Mine is Mushkin RAM (USA made), from Newegg here in Canada, (sorry, but computer seems to Default to CDN store today!!) and I have used it in MANY Apple computers for ~5 years with No Issues ever!!

Happy Reading and Good Luck there!! :apple:

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Have you tried doing a clean install? From my experience, Apple's upgrade isn't fool proof. I would try that first.

8GB of memory and a SSD would be a no brainer upgrade. I'm a photographer myself. :)

Those SSD in a 250 gig are pretty expensive right? Not to mention wouldnt I have to transfer everything from my current HD to that?

that would make a lot of difference, i'm using 16 GB memory on my late 2011 mbp, and everything is buttery smooth. your 4GB memory seems puny for what you do.

Thats what I was hoping for. My wife has battery issues on her 13.3 mbp after updating. I should have been more cautious updating I had something really good going with my ML 10.8 .... looks like I will try a fresh reinstall first, wonder if I should time capsule it or not first?

----------

Hello.. I am using a mid-2011 2.2 i7, with 16GB of RAM and a M4 SSD as well as the stock 750GB HD in the Optical Bay.. Running newest (and updated as I know) Mavericks and I surely do not see any measurable difference in any tasks..

I would suggest you read through/do a Forum Search on the 2nd thread for applicable info, and Run Activity Monitor to see WHAT is taxing your System/RAM, and then you can likely make some informed decisions..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1616811/

I was lucky enough to get 2x 8GB of RAM back when it was really quite cheap, but it has gone UP a bit lately.. Mine is Mushkin RAM (USA made), from Newegg here in Canada, (sorry, but computer seems to Default to CDN store today!!) and I have used it in MANY Apple computers for ~5 years with No Issues ever!!

Happy Reading and Good Luck there!! :apple:

Great info! Thanks

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thats what I was hoping for. My wife has battery issues on her 13.3 mbp after updating. I should have been more cautious updating I had something really good going with my ML 10.8 .... looks like I will try a fresh reinstall first, wonder if I should time capsule it or not first?[

Why not try a fresh install of ML rather than Mavericks? Look through other threads. You aren't the only one having trouble with it.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Why not try a fresh install of ML rather than Mavericks? Look through other threads. You aren't the only one having trouble with it.

Doesnt sound to easy to do after some google searches. Links to quick fix. I am willing to go back

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Doesnt sound to easy to do after some google searches. Links to quick fix. I am willing to go back

Let me think on that. I just remembered it was never distributed on disk. It might be possible to use a formatted thumb drive followed by combo update. I will look into it.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Before buying anything I would recommend making a TM backup and doing a fresh install (formatting the whole drive).

Also 4GB of ram seems a bit low for tasks like photo editing to me. I'm not really into photo editing so I don't know for sure, but it seems that a lot of people who do, like to have more ram. If it worked well in the past, though, it should work just as well with Mavericks.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
how you can process that much data for your work and not have an ssd is baffling, seriously get one asap. It will change everything.

You will need to put mavericks on a flash drive and install it from that to your newly installed ssd, it's a simple process - just make sure everything is backed up (time machine as mentioned above is the easiest method)

If you don't think it's an easy process or can't be bothered to spend a few hours checking out youtube tutorials or ifixit then maybe you should look into buying a new laptop with an ssd in it as your machine as it stands won't last you much longer with what you're throwing at it.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
So, I know this has probably been covered, but most people are just talking about mavericks and its benefits of his it handles it memory usage.

I think its BS. Nothing has changed on my computer, no new software aside from the update and nothing unusual. Now my computer takes upwards of a minute to open photoshop and I know chrome is tough on macs but 15-20 seconds is the normal. I get the beach ball more often and when it comes to saving images, or opening them in preview it takes forever.

I am a photographer and I thought my 350 gigs of raw photos was the issue. I deleted them all. Was using like 90 gigs of 500. Checked my memory usage and from everyone who posted they claim its normal.

I have attempted a few fixes provided from here and nothing

[url=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/11059719766_5356b21160_b.jpg]Image[/url]

Thanks

Boot from an external drive. Run Diskwarrior or a similar tool such as disk utility.
Boot back into the main drive and run a tool like a Cocktail, Onyx, or a Clean my Mac.
Mavericks does a great job managing memory so it's not that.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
how you can process that much data for your work and not have an ssd is baffling, seriously get one asap. It will change everything.

You will need to put mavericks on a flash drive and install it from that to your newly installed ssd, it's a simple process - just make sure everything is backed up (time machine as mentioned above is the easiest method)

If you don't think it's an easy process or can't be bothered to spend a few hours checking out youtube tutorials or ifixit then maybe you should look into buying a new laptop with an ssd in it as your machine as it stands won't last you much longer with what you're throwing at it.

I know I know. I used to have a beefed up PC that I did majority of my work on, but cannot stand sitting at a desktop anymore. Been using this MB pro on and off over the past 2.5 or 3 years... But yeah, things are slow. My .NEF files are on average 20mb-30mb each. Opening them in my work flow takes forever. the worst like i said is opening up the jpegs before the raw files.

I am doing a bunch of reading now, going to be getting a SSD over the next couple weeks when I pick the right one. Also getting more ram, plan to reset the puter on a fresh install and start from scratch with hopefully a monster rather than a beach ball party lol

Thanks again for all the advice and information folks, this is why I enjoy forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.