Help - My External Drive doesn't show up on PC or Mac Now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RayJay-M, Mar 7, 2013.

1. RayJay-M macrumors newbie

I'm totally new to this forum and I'm probably doing this all wrong. Forgive me. I recently purchased a IMac. I was using a PC and had an external hard drive (Seagate) where I stored all of my important files in preparation for the move. When I put up my Mac, the computer read the external drive and I was able to see the files. I opened up an old PC file on the Mac and updated it and put it back on the hard drive. Since then, the computer doesn't read the drive. When I plug it into my PC, it asks me to format it. The Mac doesn't recognize it. Is there any help for this?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yep, you should start a new thread rather than replying to one that is two years old.

Drives that are shared between PCs and Macs need to be formatted FAT. I've never had any problems with drives formatted that way. It sounds like it might have been formatted NTFS, although I don't know how you managed to write to it with your Mac.

3. RayJay-M thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I'm totally new to this forum and didn't know how to post a new thread, which was why I apologized in the beginning BEFORE asking the question.