HELP! My external HD won't [Leopard]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xnikolasx, Nov 16, 2008.

1. xnikolasx macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,
    I have a powerbook g4 with leopard and my 500GB external HD now doesn't mount I don't know why [???]
    I already check on disk utility and appears there, but don't mount and when i try to verify or fix the hd, says:

Incorrect block count for file fseventsd-uuid
    (It should be 1 instead of 0)
    Invalid sibling link
    Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I am a freelancer and i have all my work there, so PLEASE! if somebody can help meee I am desperate!

:(

2. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Seems badly corrupted hard disk or even physically "dead" disk.
    Backups? :rolleyes:

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Agreed- that at very least has some substantial directory damage (corruption). The fact that it shows in Disk Utility at all is a good sign that it has not physically failed- at least completely. Was the drive disconnected without removing the icon from the desktop first or has the computer required a forced restart lately? Either of those things can cause corruption as the errors would indicate.

Before you try anything else, you really need to try to backup those files that you can from it- but of course this assumes you do not have a full backup. :(

Anything else that could be suggested carries the risk of further damage (or if the drive is in the early stages of hardware failure the longer it runs more damage can be done) hence the suggestion to see what you can recover from it first.

If the hardware is ok and it is just directory damage alone, Disk Warrior may very well be able to rebuild a working directory on it- I consider it an indispensable utility to have on hand. Other suggestions would have to include Data Rescue II to try to pull files off the drive if you are unable to pull them off for backup via normal finder operations. Others can guide you to the proper use of the fsck command in the terminal to try to fix the directory without additional software or you can Google "Mac fsck" for info. Since I have the other tools I am not familiar enough with fsck to give you instructions.

Good luck!

BTW- not to beat up on you, but assuming you don't have any backup mechanism in place on a drive this important to you (with it containing all your work) please get something in place when this scenario is complete- no matter what the results are. This kind of problem is too easy to avoid by having a backup, so for your own good just make sure that you set up something to make sure it does not repeat down the road. Just buy a moderately sized external drive and dedicate it to Time Machine since you have Leopard- and you won't have this worry in the future!