Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I have been struck by a small disaster!

I was watching a video in full screen and as it was over nothing happened - usualy it would end full screen and return to my apps, but I just got the spinning beach ball. After a minute of beach ball I got worried, so I tried cmd + tab to switch to another app, but nothing happend. I left it alone for 5 minutes or so, but still just black screen and beach ball...

So I held down the power button and waited for the laptop to power off, waited a short while and hit the power button; got the chime, got the apple, got the loading spinning circle, ..., ..., ..., ..., black screen and then the chime again and now this black rectangle telling me I needed to power off the computer and start it again. So I did - chime, black box of text; and so on 3 times.

I took out the harddrive (an OCZ Vertex 250 gb ssd), and put in an old harddisk I had lying around, installed OS X, ran disk tool that gave me an error. I don't know exactly what it would say in English since I use a Danish version of OS X, but it was something like that the disk could not be mounted due to an error in the journaling.

Now I put in my Drive Genius 2.1 DVD and did some repairing and rebuilt it, but it still will not mount - Drive Genius said "Operation not permitted - please verify the file system it may need to be repaired. (0xC001)".

I don't know how I verify or repair the file system...

And I really need to get to the files on that disk!
I'm really really hoping some genius in here knows what I can do to get to the files, because it my entire photo album, music library and all my emails... I deleted my old back-up just before watching that video, because I meant to do a new one but got side tracked...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If Disk Utility is unable to repair the drive and mount it, bad sign. Not sure about Drive Genius, though there are other repair apps that might be worth trying. If you have AppleCare you should also have a copy of TechToolDeluxe, which I think has a basic repair function.

What I'd do though, if the data is very important, is go download Data Rescue II right now:
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

...and run it. See what it can see on the drive. If it sees your files, and the test recover works, pay the money for a license and get the data of onto a backup. If you can afford a 256GB SSD I'm assuming the cost of Data Rescue is worth it to make SURE your data is ok. It'll be a mess, but at least not gone forever.

At that point you can either try another drive repair utility (Disk Warrior, TechToolPro, etc) to salvage a cleaner copy of your data, or reformat and reinstall, hoping that the drive isn't broken, or RMA the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.