help!! my ipad home button doesn't work.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tigerin, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tigerin macrumors newbie

i came home today and found my ipad home button doesn't respond when i pressed it. can anyone help me?!?!?!

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's a normal characteristic of a low tech mechanical button. Why Apple clings to these vulnerabilities is rather contrary to their claim that they're innovators.

I've had 4 iPhones replaced due to faulty buttons. In that same time frame I've never had a single button fail on any of my Android phones. But then again, it's not fair to compare, since they're modern touch sensitive just like the display.

As much as I like Apple, they do make some rather bizarre choices. I believe they do because none of their dedicated followers would ever be truthful & doubt Apples choices. To the contrary they rationalize & stand up for Apple no matter what.

It's good to be Apple :)

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

There is one trick that sometimes works: first, with the screen on, hold down the power button until the "slide to power off" screen appears. Then release the power button and hold down the home button for a few more seconds. If the button itself is okay then this should take you back to the home screen. After that it should work okay.

If this doesn't work then it could mean that the button itself is broken. In which case you'll either have to send it in for repair or just start using the four finger multitask gestures exclusively.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If the reboot does not help, and warranty is up, get some plastic safe contact cleaner. (auto parts store should have it). Spray some into the button and push it several times. 50/50 chance it will work, but cheap and easy to do with low risk.

5. tigerin thread starter macrumors newbie

that trick works for a few minutes and then it went back to unresponsive again.

----------

i bought it refurbished on apple store less than 3 weeks ago. think i cna take it to the store?

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yes you can take it to any Apple Store for a replacement. Apple refurbs come with a 1 year warranty.

7. nawazsumar macrumors newbie

If its a case of having to press the button several times before it actually responds then you want something called isopropanol. A couple of drops, press the button a couple of times and it will degrease it. I have used this on many iPhones and it works like a charm.

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's what I do and actually prefer it.

10. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Use a virtual home button, created through the accessibility menu.

11. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

Take it to the apple store. They are usually pretty cool about out of warranty stuff. You've got nothing to lose

12. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

People were also getting mad about rumors of Apple replacing the button with some touch-sensitive non-mechanical button. I don't see why. I agree; the mechanical button is horrible.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The problem with capacitive buttons is that they are relatively easy to hit by accident. Plus in some cases it's easier to wake up an iPad with the home button (basically that's the only thing I use mine for)

14. epi117 macrumors 6502

If you hear a cracking sound when you press the botton its a hardware issue.

If no sound, it may be a software issue.

If software, try back up and restore. That may fix problem.

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, ignore what everyone else is saying and take it back to Apple as it's still under warranty.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Uh excuse me, but I did basically say that if it was broken then it will have to returned to Apple for repair.