Help, my iphone is completely dead! Tried everything.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by littlepipkin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. littlepipkin macrumors newbie

Sorry for posting but I have searched everywhere for an answer and am at my wits end. I am on a ship in the North Sea for the next 2 weeks so phoning Apple or o2 or taking it into a store is not an option. It is the only method I have of calling my husband and I am distraught it has died!

Basically my iphone has completely died. Tried hard resets, the lot. It only works when plugged in to the wall charger and will not charge via the PC nor will it connect to ITunes so I cannot do a restore. And though it says charging when plugged in, the battery stays at 65% so it cant be. And after I plug it in, it wont do anything until I do a hard reset, then the apple logo comes on and then eventually after an age it turns on, at 65%. But wifi is greyed out completely so I cant do anything apart from play music. Ive checked the liquid sensor and it has not been wet (knew that anyway) and I have tried everything. I dont know what to do, the second I unplug it, it goes completely dead. Have not installed anything from the app store for a while, and when it died, all I was doing was checking my mail. I had noticed for the past week or so that the battery life percentage would fluctuate and sometimes it would go dead and come back fine after a few seconds but now there is nothing at all, unless plugged in and then no wifi. A strange message also came up a few days ago about an accessory being plugged in that was not for an iphone, when nothing was plugged in, but that disappeared again. I have not knowingly damaged it in any way and certainly not when it died, it was just in my hand!

Have tried resetting all the settings too, to no avail.

Is there no hope at all? Any help so gratefully received - the weather is rubbish, I am the only Brit on this boat, so lonely and now my one support has gone.

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Have you tried restoring it from within the phone?

3. littlepipkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried resetting all the settings, and pressing home and sleep. Is there any way I can restore it without being able to connect it to ITunes?

I suppose I should also mention that it is not jailbroken and about 8 months old, a 3GS

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hmm...well u may seem to have a virus or something in your iphone..i suspect that this is probably a software problem so im gonna try to help you. you said you hit "Reset all Settings", now thats where you're wrong my friend. Go to settings >general > reset >erase all content and settings. it should be just like it was when o2 activated it out of the box. now u should be able to plug it into itunes, and SET IT UP AS A NEW IPHONE. dont restore from your backup as you may have the same problem again. good luck and i hope this helps.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yes this should do it, follow these directions very carefully and you should be ok. Seems like a virus to me. If this doesnt work there probably isnt anything else you can do without an apple store. What model is it?

6. littlepipkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried that and still the same, except now as I cant connect it to iTunes, I have nothing at all apart from the "connect to iTunes" screen :(

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

ok turn the phone off. plug it into your computer. hold the home and power button at the same time, until the apple logo comes up. after it comes up, release the power button and keep holding the home button.

8. littlepipkin thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is completely off when it is not connected to the wall charger - I cant even get the apple logo to come up when I try a reset unless it is connected to the charger. Does nothing when I try resetting it when connected to the computer, and of course because the power goes, so does the "connect to iTunes" screen

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

is your usb port on your laptop broken? can you try another usb port? if it still doesnt work, can u ask someone else on the boat if you can use their computer just for one second?

10. littlepipkin thread starter macrumors newbie

USB ports are fine, running my external hard drive fine. And have tried it in the ship's laptop too. The minute I remove it from the power source, it goes dead.

Strange one this it seems...

11. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

you can make a call to apple and o2. you have ONE shot though, so dont mess it up. download skype, i think its in partnership with myspace. make an account with them, and you get ONE free test call. try calling apple. or you can borrow someones phone if you mess it up.