Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
I did a search but didnt find anything so here's the problem:

The screen is dim beyond the brightness settings, to the point where it looks completely black like its not on, the phone works and functions as normal. I went to the brightness settings but it has no affect on it

Anyone know what the problem or issue could be?? I know I accidentally hit something that made it say "Resetting Language", but didn't see what it was.

Below is a picture of it next to my iPod Touch, both on the lowest brightness

iPhone 3G FW 3.0 Jailbroken

CIMG0158.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0158.jpg
    CIMG0158.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 360

Gershon

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I did a search but didnt find anything so here's the problem:

The screen is dim beyond the brightness settings, to the point where it looks completely black like its not on, the phone works and functions as normal. I went to the brightness settings but it has no affect on it

Anyone know what the problem or issue could be?? I know I accidentally hit something that made it say "Resetting Language", but didn't see what it was.

Below is a picture of it next to my iPod Touch, both on the lowest brightness

iPhone 3G FW 3.0 Jailbroken

CIMG0158.jpg

please send it for repair or an exchange! unacceptable..

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Can't tell from the picture - could you have set an accessibility setting (to white on black) by mistake?

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
Restore.. If it doesn't work.. take to apple to get a new one.. You shouldn't be sitting around trying to solve these problems. As long as the restore removes all signs of jailbreak. you should get a new phone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
sorry to hijack your thread...

Question about accessibility for anyone. I don't seem to have settings for accessibility on my iPhone. I've looked and just don't see them. What could be up?

Settings --> General --> scroll to bottom just before "reset" - nothing above it that says accessibility (under international) ?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yea, restore and see if that helps. Go so far as to do a DFU restore so it's a virgin install. If that doesn't work then you need to make sure that all traces of a jailbreak are gone and have it repaired. Almost looks like the backlight went out.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
This same exact thing happened to my first iPhone 3GS. The backlight turned off permanently. Nothing I did could get it to come back on again.

The genius exchanged it with no hesitation. Get it replaced.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Settings --> General --> scroll to bottom just before "reset" - nothing above it that says accessibility (under international) ?

Nope. I knew that's where it was supposed to be, but there's nothing there. Under international it then jumps to reset. So, I've been wondering where it went.

I do have a 3G though. Perhaps that is only a feature for the 3GS?

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
ok strange, I went to install Ultrasn0w and put my tmbolie sim in there, after the reboot, the screen is back to normal

but now it the screen doesnt go to auto lock, anyone know what now??

awalsh2025

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Hmm

You may have already tried this, but I can only suggest taking it off of auto-brightness? Mine does this randomly as well and I just turned that setting off. We shall see.

mushr00m

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
It happened to me either =/ cause i went snowboarding recording a movie with my iphone and it get wet after some felt down on the ice..it's perfeclty working.. just the screen isn't brighting... i dry it on hair dry... i'm thinking to do a restore.. but how to do it? my iphone is iPhone 3GS FW 3.0 purplera1ned

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nope. I knew that's where it was supposed to be, but there's nothing there. Under international it then jumps to reset. So, I've been wondering where it went.

I do have a 3G though. Perhaps that is only a feature for the 3GS?

Yes, only the 3GS has the accessibility options. Unless you need it, you're not missing a whole lot. Speaking everything is super annoying, screen zoom is really pixelated, and inverted colors are awkward and not useful for most people without disabilities. They're kinda fun to play with at first but get old quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.