HELP my iPhone won't update to 1.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pscoble, Sep 27, 2007.

1. pscoble macrumors 6502

My iPhone will not update to 1.1.1 it gives an error saying: " An unknown error occurred (1602)" My iPhone has not been hacked can anyone help me or tell me why this might be happening? Thanks. OMG all my data off it was just lost it says I must restore it before use. What the hell?! All my contacts..... why is this happening when my mac is being repaired?

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Not sure what step you were at when the error happened, but there is an Apple support page on this error. Maybe it will help.

3. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I don't make sence I'm just a combination of pissed overwhelmed and angry right now....I wasn't trying to restore my iPhone I was installing the update it said "readying update for iPhone" when it went into restore mode and I lost all my stuff :(

4. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Anger and troubleshooting -- bad combination. :) Maybe deal with it tomorrow?

I assume your "stuff" is still on the computer you used to originally synch it to your iPhone?

Have you tried "Restore" like the support document suggests? I'm not sure if it will Restore to 1.1.1, but if not you can at least Restore it and then update it again.

5. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the thing..I DONT have it on my computer my macbook pros logic board failed on Sunday! Its still in repair so I have just lost hundreds of numbers and 50 odd photos because I didn't back em up...damn this week sucked oh look it's Thursday :(

6. EmptyG macrumors regular

iPhone error while updating to 1.1.1 :(

So I have an unhacked iPhone, fully restored this morning to correct some errors.

I connected to iTunes, downloaded the update and everything started updating.

At a certain point I got the 1603 error which led me to reboot my PC. After that, the iPhone started updating, looks like it was going fine.

Now it is at the stage "Restoring iPhone software", but it's been at one point in the progress line for about 10 mins :(

Any ideas? This is really aggravating :(

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

uhhh...
    I'm getting
    The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9).

WTF
    no hacks

Now I can't even restore my phone

8. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the same issue only thing was my macs in repair and I didn't backup my contacts or some pictures...soo I lost everything because of this...first my mbps logic board now this my week hasn't been so fun.

9. EmptyG macrumors regular

Yeah I am trying it now on my MBP, to see if it's my Windows box screwing up. I have issues with iTunes / iPhone stuff on my PC lately

Here's hoping... :)

10. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty much same thing as me I'm having to take my phone to the Apple store so it a few of my friends who are having this issue...this really sucks

11. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Yes, it does suck, but take it as a good lesson to backup your MBP. I lost some data years ago. I was seriously pissed at the time, but it turned me into a backup fanatic. A painful, but good, lesson.

Not sure why you have to go to the Apple store to Restore your phone. And, replacing a motherboard doesn't require the hard drive to be erased, depending on what your issue was.

Good luck.

12. EmptyG macrumors regular

OK think I fixed it...

It came back on and gave me the "connect to iTunes" message. Tried it on my MBP again, nothing. It came up and started the restore, but failed again and gave the "iPhone could not be updated" error.

Then I figured I would give it a hard reboot. Held down the top button and the home button. It rebooted and gave me the "Connect to iTunes" message again.

After that it started it's deal, and worked! Took abotu 5 minutes and now is totally updated and working again.

Though I did lose everything I had on it, I backed it beforehand.

13. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

That's the key.

For anyone else who runs across this, here is the Apple support page on this error that I linked in the other thread.

14. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I backed up everything but my contacts and those few pics. Apple reinstalls the OS I believe anyway and it was also an HD issue so I have to go there anyway.

15. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Dammit, this kinda happened to me.

I installed the update on my phone just fine. Then I tried my girlfriends phone. I got an error message right away when I tried to mount the phone in iTunes. I tried it again and it worked, so I started to update.

A few minutes into the installation the iPhone logo disappeared from the sidebar and the installation progress bar vanished. The apple logo was still on the phone and that spinning progress wheel was still going. After about 10 minutes I quit iTunes and started it up hoping it would pick up where it left off. No. I did a hard reboot of the phone, the apple logo popped up, and then a connect to iTunes message in a yellow warning sign. When connecting, my only option is a restore. :(

She doesn't really care about anything except the pictures. I should've got them off before I tried to upgrade, but then again I didn't expect this to happen. I don't know if Apple could do anything if we take it in other than restore it themselves. I think we're screwed.

I'm gonna back up the pictures on my phone right now.

16. EmptyG macrumors regular

Agreed - moral of the story - backup your iPhone regularly! Then stuff like this won't hurt so bad :) After the wipe and reinstall, it took maybe 2 hours to replace everything, more or less.

17. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Maybe moral of the story should be "Apple should put out stable software instead of rushing it so they can disable the ability to play Tic Tac Toe on it".

18. LCC-SAT macrumors newbie

seems to be a common problem

As I read through the posts here all of the problems of yesterday's 8 hours in front of the computer came back. Same error on updating iPhone. Same logic board failure and Powerbook G4 coming back from Apple with a scrubbed harddrive. So I had six gigs of music and 540 pictures on the phone that I can't move back onto the computer from which they came. This sucks. No way to do it without 3rd party software (Senuti doesn't work on the iphone ). Everything is backed up on two external HDs in different folders from what is on the phone. Why not allow us to move (true synch) files from the iPhone to the computer- particularly images??