Help - My Laptop was Stolen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cksd1, Feb 20, 2010.

1. cksd1 macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone can help me on this.
    I am currently in South America and my backpack was taken from me with you guessed it, my Macbook. This is the first time I have travelled with it and made a huge rookie mistake....it was not set on password protect.

I can't call Apple because the number does not work from South America and there was NO email contact info. I resorted to emailing feedback and asking them what to do.

Can they de-register the computer so that if someone trys to sell it and the buyer checks the serial number it will be reported as stolen? I'm sure its just going to be sold on the street but thought I would check if anyone knows contact information at apple to deregister.

Thanks

Cheryl

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you file a police report? It'd be best if you had a police report with the serial number in it.

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I think you might have to chalk it up as a loss. If you had any credit/banking info. on it you should cancel those immediately. Good luck!

4. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

This is one reason why I am thinking of buying lojack for my macbook. Just in case.

Good luck man

5. coolmacguy macrumors regular

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Register it with the police, and if you can register the Serial with the apple store that's nearest. SHould be able to get the Serial from apple through the purchase.

It's such a shame that the theft recovery apps don't do a free version , and pay later.

7. ae3265 macrumors member

Lojack doesn't even install and support is very bad.

Prey and Orbicule's Undercover are both options that do install cleanly and appear to work. I actually have both on my LT.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Even with a password, they could just mount the hard drive on another machine and view all your files if they really wanted to.

As others have said, report it to the police, though I'd probably start saving for a new one. Chances of ever getting it again, especially since you are travelling, are pretty slim.

9. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Stolen

I installed Lojack for Laptops without a problem.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since it was stolen in South America, I would say that the chance of recovery is slim-to-none. I think the only thing you can do is to evaluate the circumstances under which your laptop was stolen so that you avoid a repeat occurrence. Your best bet is to file a police report and contact your homeowner's insurance when you return home.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

When you get your replacement, you should consider setting up a h/w password on it, and also getting some type of recovery service. I have Undercover on both of my MBPs.

12. Moocher macrumors regular

A curse on their black hearts. You are well and truly SOL.

Mooch

13. rwd hero macrumors 6502

The Undercover service seems like an amazing service. I am defiantly getting it when i get an extra $50.

14. Helo2050 macrumors member

What would setting a password do? All they'd have to do is replace the HD right?

15. Claerion macrumors member

http://preyproject.com/

Great FREE app for many platforms including android!

Of course you need to install it before it gets stolen ;) but for the future, worth a look.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Apple has no "stolen database" so don't bother contacting them.

I guess I would report it to police in hopes its recovered, but good luck. How old was it? If it was newer and purchased with a credit card, it may be covered under their benefits. That or homeowners insurance.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, but most thieves don't do this. They just try and sell it as fast as they can.

18. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

like, at gunpoint?

or was it literally snatched away from you?

or did you leave it somewhere?

how did it happen?

19. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I do not know what South American country your in, but you can call anywhere to the USA from South America. You only need the access code for the USA first.....00 then Apples phone number.

I doubt that the buyer would attempt to reregister your MacBook. It is stolen after all, and yes the thief would sell it ASAP for the money.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It is great considering the price. I believe I learned about it after reading a review in either a MacUser or MacLife. I really like the fact they can simulate a h/w failure and also take photos with iSight, thus identifying the thief. And of course, all this on top of the location tracking.

21. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Sweet app, many thanks!