Help!!! My Mac is broke and won't start (unable to find driver ACPI)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MyMacIsBroke, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MyMacIsBroke macrumors newbie

Someone please help. I was reinstalling a printer driver and my power cut off while it was installing. now the computer wont start and i get this message below... I read to use the install dvd but my CD drive is broke and wont take cds. I did manage to hook it up to my dads computer with target disk mode so i can access files. his computer is a windows though. i do have a copy of the Leopard install cd saved as a DMG on his computer and a 8gb flash to boot it but i cant format the flash drive to be mac extended journaled GUID from his computer.IS there a program to do this???I dont know what needs to be fixed or where i can get this acpi driver? can anyone help because i dont have any money to get this fix and i need my mac for college which im starting soon.
    This is the error message

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x004384FF): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407
    (That is the first line. It goes on to say...)

Debugger called: <panic>
    Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    (then there are 7 lines that start with 0x2f5d3 followed by)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
    Not yet set

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386

System uptime in nanoseconds: 180744654

It also says 64bit mode enabled and i thought macs were 32bit.

I also tried resetting the pvram or whatever its called and no luck
    Someone please help!!!!

2. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

you've corrupted some system file.

somehow you have to get the leopard install dmg onto a flash/external drive. boot on your computer holding option key, select the drive, and do archive and install. no promises tho

3. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

sounds like a kernel panic or a corrupt file system. Getting a bootable leopard disk is a must in this situation. As for a windows program that will format a bootable osx disc to a usb, i will research and see if i can find a program to do this.

4. MyMacIsBroke thread starter macrumors newbie

5. diburrup macrumors newbie

diburrup

Unable to find driver for this platform Error

I took my MacBook in to a repair shop here in town and my 1 Gig Stick of Ram was bad and causing this error. Once it was replaced, it booted just fine. I could not load the OS from the CD either, so that could have been my first clue it was the RAM. I had a 2 Gig stick also that was fine. Hope this helps someone else. :D

6. wellconnected macrumors newbie

iMac crashes immediately - unable to find driver for this platform acpi ioplatformexp

I have the same problem. Just got it start up in Target Mode (hold T key while starting).

We'll see how far I'm able to repair or reinstall Snow Leopard from my attached MacBook Pro.

Right now, Disk Warrior is running a rebuild of the iMac's hard drive.

We shall see...

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Someone please help. I was reinstalling a printer driver and my power cut off while it was installing. now the computer wont start and i get this message below..."

This is the very reason why EVERY Mac user should have a second, BOOTABLE, external drive. For emergencies just like this one.

A "time machine" backup won't do, because it's not bootable. You need a BOOTABLE CLONE of your internal drive.

These are amazingly easy to create, and not expensive, either.

Can you afford $20-25 or so?
    Go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?re...aps&field-keywords=usb sata dock&x=0&y=0&rd=1
    (many items shown, all work the same, pick one you like that's cheap)

Then, get a "bare SATA hard drive" from the vendor of your choice (I like newegg). You can even use an old one or a spare if you have one available.

Then, get the FREE "CarbonCopyCloner" app from:
    http://bombich.com/

Hook the dock to the Mac, put the drive in, turn it on, initialize it with Disk Utility, and then use CCC to "clone" the contents of your main drive to the docked drive.

You will then have a bootable clone that you can reach for in a moment of extreme need (like the one you're having now). You can boot from your backup and work on the problems on your internal drive. If your backup is current, and your internal drive is dead or seems un-repairable, you can install a fresh drive (if necessary), and/or "re-clone" your backup back to your internal drive, restoring it.

You CAN'T do this with Time Machine -- again, a TM backup isn't bootable and is all-but useless if you can't get your Mac booted up in the first place.

This advice might not help with your current troubles, but it WILL prevent you from being up against the wall like this in the future....