HELP!!! My Mac starts playing music after firefox downloads finish

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reikasei, Dec 22, 2009.

1. reikasei macrumors newbie

Recently, my Mac starts playing this same song everytime a download from firefox finishes. Sometimes when I download 2 pictures, one after the other, the same song starts playing twice, overlapping by just a few seconds. I found out it's a song in my computer and has removed it but it still happens. I have reinstalled firefox but the this is still going on.

I don't know what to do. Help please!

2. CrazyIllini macrumors member

First is this in Firefox only or does it occur with Safari too. Check.

Try quitting everything but Firefox. Then after you download see which application if any opens. If none do then the music is playing directly in Firefox. I would delete Firefox and all related data and reinstall it.

3. Mumford macrumors regular

I checked my firefox prefs but didn't see any option to play a sound when downloads finish. You might check what addons you have.
    Edit: also check growl if you have it installed. It can be configured to play sounds for certain events.

4. reikasei thread starter macrumors newbie

It only occurs with firefox. And no other application was open when it happened. How do I remove all related data to firefox (I only know how to go into applications and delete firefox, then reinstall it but it still happens)

I don't have any add-ons that would play any music, I have WOT, ad block plus and no script ???

5. Mumford macrumors regular

If you want to completely remove Firefox's settings, remove the ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox folder. Be warned: that will remove your bookmarks, cookies, history, everything. Maybe move it out of the way temporarily rather than delete it.

Did you check Growl? It wouldn't show as an open application on the dock.

6. mrandrewnetz macrumors newbie

Music wont stop playing

My computer is playing a really annoying song after about 15 minutes after is starts up. It sounds like some super nintendo song, nothing is open and it will not stop playing!! please help me, thank you

7. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

when the music plays next time, open Activity Monitor, and check to see which program has the highest processing percentage... that may give a clue.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

In answer to mrandrewnetz, the last time I helped someone with a problem like that it turned out to be a Dashboard widget that was playing music; the 15 minutes may just be when you happen to open Dashboard (widgets don't load until you activate it the first time, but will continue running even when it's not visible after that).

One way to check would be to reboot, open Dashboard, and see if the music starts in a moment or two. If so, look for an app hiding behind another or most of the way off the side of the screen.

If that's not it the Activity Monitor check is the way to go--if it's playing sound it's probably going to show at least 5-10% of a CPU core, which should narrow it down quickly if you don't have much open.