HELP! My Macbook (Late 2008) has vertical blue line across the screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lohoz, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lohoz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Recently, i was using my (late 2008) macbook 2.0Ghz when i noticed a vertical Blue Line going across the screen from the top to the bottom. I have uploaded pictures for you guys to see below.
    MY APPLECARE HAS ENDED!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can someone explain if this is something wrong with the LCD screen itself or the video card or the connector is loose?

And if its a software or hardware problem, how to solve it by software? i have quoted a solution. But can someone verify if it works?
    " Good Fix for Vertical Lines on Macbook
    Here is how you fix the vertical line problem on the macbook
    restart by resetting the pram (holding command option p r on restart) until you hear 4 chimes
    then when you get into os x. open up system pref.
    go to display. change the resolution of your screen to anything but normal. then change back to normal. restart computer normally and problem is solved."
    Will this solve the problem?

Thank you for helping me out! I really appreciate it..

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you try it and answer your own question?

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

My old 17" G5 iSight iMac has the same problem but in yellow. I don't remember exactly but I recall my searches turning up that it's a fairly common screen (hardware) problem that Apple refuses to acknowledge. :rolleyes:

You can do some searching about the vertical line problem with MRoogle for topics on this forum and google/search engine of your choice for any others.

4. lohoz thread starter macrumors newbie

i have just tried it, it doesn't works.

5. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Looks like your lcd panel is busted. There's various threads about the same issue.

6. lohoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so technically, i have to replace the LCD? so nothings busted inside besides the lcd?

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Aluminum unibody machines are a pain to swap lcd panels. Most likely you will have to buy an top assembly. The glass is glued to the aluminum back:(

edit: And if it's the lcd you will see that line always, independent of what you are doing. Checking with the hardware diagnostics disc would be an bad idea.

8. lohoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup! the blue line is there all the way ever since i have spotted it. it never goes away or what. it just stays there. guess its a spoilt lcd screen.

9. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Ups I made an typo. You should run apple hardware test just to make sure that everything else is fine:) Then proceed to replace the lcd panel. That will hurt your wallet:(

10. lohoz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have run the apple test, by holding D on start up. it shows no fault in any hardware on the macbook. so it must be a lcd problem, since no graphics error or whatsoever. Anyway, called up applecare and they said that this problem might have a product recall due to something, so HIGH HOPES that it can be repaired for free!

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Did you bother to read my post in this thread at all? I said right from the go I have the same problem and that it is hardware (the LCD screen) and that it's not being acknowledged by Apple. Or at least it wasn't when I checked. But good luck.

12. lohoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, then it seems that i have a basturd lcd screen, thanks anyway for clarifiying that with me.