Help! My Macbook Sleeps by Itself

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by frogcat, Jul 24, 2008.

1. frogcat macrumors member

Hi, I've had this happen to me intermittently for about a month now. My macbook would sleep randomly while surfing the web or just during any casual computing. It would clearly show an "X" on the battery bar after my macbook woke up. All this happens while on the battery.

2 days ago, I noticed that when on the adapter, I get an "X" on the battery bar, so my battery had died? My macbook is 5 months old with a 99% health rating on coconutbattery and istat. It clearly was not the battery.

I took it to the mac genius, but she offered to just change the battery, saying that "this happened to my macbook, and trust me this will fix it." Well, it didn't. Now I get intermittent sleeps, but sometimes no "X" on the battery bar. This is really confusing. I need this macbook for college, and would like any help or advice on my situation. Thanks a lot! I spent a fortune on this 2.2 ghz blackbook, and I can't afford to buy new parts or a new computer. I pay my own University tuition!

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

The X, IIRC, shows up when the computer doesn't have a battery inserted, or if it doesn't recognize the battery. Here are a couple things you could try:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1457
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US

3. frogcat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I have already reset SMC and PRAM, and had my battery checked and exchanged, so that is far from my problem. I don't know what's going on, but I sure don't want it to be a logic board problem.

With the new battery it still sleeps randomly, but it has stopped acting up in the past 2 days. Do you think there's any possibility that it could be software and I just need to clean install again?