Help, My MBP Is SLOW!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mm1250, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I bought my first Mac about 4 months ago. While I love the thing i'm starting to get quite annoyed of the speed of loading software programs.

It's a MBP 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and I have upgraded it to 4GB of RAM. Running Leopard.

The issue I run into is when I startup the box and login, I would load Firefox and it literally takes 35 seconds before it loads up. Safari will take about 10 seconds to come up. That's crazy because my P4 windows box doesn't take long to load applications. Internet Explorer loads in a second.

Is this normal? Could it be that I have stuff in my startup items?

2. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

doesn't sound normal to me, little too slow for a machine that only has four months of use and clutter. I'd start by going the normal route, checking activity monitor, see whats running and what it's consuming. if it's only web browsers that are going that slow, that also tells you something; try appzapping them and reinstalling.

sometimes machines slow down after a year or so, and a clean install is the best remedy. i don't think you need that yet, but if all else fails you can fall back on that.

3. RoskO macrumors member

Sounds to me like something is sucking up 100% or your cpu that you aren't aware of....or possibly your power savings is reducing your cpu performance? Do you have it on normal, or better performance?

Let us know if activity monitor is showing any offending apps.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is everything tugging along or is it just safari and FF?
    Have you tried repairing permissions and resetting both firefox and safari? activity monitor is also a good place to start.

Bless

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

install Onyx and run the Automation feature. reboot a few times until it boots up at constant time.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Maybe you have somebody hacking into it? Not very likely IMHO but maybe. Otherwise, I think OnyX would be a good idea.