Help! My MBP keep shutting down. Then It wont turn back on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oostatoo, Aug 10, 2012.

1. oostatoo, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

oostatoo macrumors newbie

So, my macbook pro is shutting off at random times. Ill be in the middle of something mundane like an IM chat and poof its now off.

Once it is off, it wont turn back on. When I press the power button, the white light at the front of the machine turns on then off again immediately. After a while it just magically boots. Sometimes after booting into the os and loading a few apps, poof off again.

My battery is at full charge and my power cable has a green light on it. I have done a SMC reset, but when I try the prram reset it wont turn back on.

I am at wits end. I will say I bought this thing used and it has no apple care. It is the i5 model if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Is it hot? It could be shutting off because it is getting too hot and staying off until it cools off. If this is the case, you might want to get the fans looked at.

You can also take it in and have Apple look at it. They may not be able to fix anything for free for you, but at least they can tell you what might be wrong.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My mbp starting doing the exact same thing a few weeks back because the RAM had gone bad. If you have any other RAM try swapping it out to see if that fixes it.

4. oostatoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I am gonna take it to the apple store for further inspection as it still wont turn on.