Help! My MBP won't boot after a failed software update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enzojauregui, Apr 25, 2010.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

Hello! I really need your help. There something wrong with my MBP (see sig for exact model).

Here's the thing, I wanted to reformat my mbp. In doing this, I used the 'erase and install' method in my leopard restore disk then installed bundled applications dvd that was included with it. I then installed/upgraded to snow leopard then used software update to download the updates.

Before this, there seemed nothing wrong with my mbp. After downloading all the available updates (~990mb), it asked for a restart to which i agreed . i watched it while it was installing the updates but for some reason before it was able to end, stated that an error occurred thus it restarted. Now i get stuck with the startup screen (the one with the apple logo in the middle with a rotating circle of lines just below it). It wouldn't stop so i hard reseted it but to no avail, still stuck with the startup screen.

Definitely, there something wrong with my mbp. Is it possible that it is already dying this early? Or maybe is it the hard drive? What do you recommend I do? Thanks in advance! :D

2. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

repair disk permissions. Luff you!

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Has to try and boot in safe mode before he can repair permissions.

4. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

update: i tried hard resetting then turning it on a few more times, i noticed that sometimes it takes a longer time before the startup screen appears

sorry, i'm not that good with computers, how do you do this?

is it possible that my mbp is already dying? what's the worst possible scenario that i should expect? sorry, i'm just really worried about things like this :|

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

As soon as you hear the power-up chime, press and hold the shift key until you get to your login screen. That'll get you into safe mode.

6. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies! i just decided to reformat it again which luckily worked for me. before doing this though, i tried repair the disk which though was able to repair and detect errors, though, it still wasn't able to boot properly so i just reformatted. i wonder what happened to my mbp. thanks anyways!

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

If the software update was a major OS update that failed, Mac OS X could have been corrupted. If the system was installing an update and the system suddenly lost power, the OS could have been corrupted. To avoid this, I always quit all applications while the updates are installing. If it asks me to restart my computer, I always click NO and restart manually.